Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who is making money with their laser cutter?

So who is making money with their laser cutter?

As a recent laser cutter purchaser I'm interested to hear from the experienced guys around here. Are you making a living with it? Is it just another tool in a larger shop? And if you are making money off it whats your bread and butter? I'm trying to diversify my three dimensional signage business myself so I'll be looking at doing quick personalized engravings, plaques, key chains, trophies, etc. I am interested to hear of what unique markets you guys are in!

As a side note I'd also be interested to know how you ended up where you are at.

Cheers!

Jason,
    Welcome, take a few minutes to fill out your profile with your location, and your equipment in your signature line.
    My laser is just another piece of equipment which is used in my side business, designing and building custom nylon gear.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Thanks for the heads up Scott, I added some info!

I'm not familiar with nylon gear. Can you elaborate a bit?
    Ray Fine 80watt Reci 400x600mm laser cutter
    5x10 Multicam router
    5x10 Hypertherm CNC plasma cutter

I use mine to cut molds which form 3D textured resin panels in which the same laser and same cut file cuts the resin panels according to said mold shape. The last panel job made about 40% profit. As well as cutting lots of other materials to pay the bills, like foam for my sample boxes, 3 x 5 samples for said boxes, teflon gaskets for my spray guns, circular cores for tubes and hook hangers, jewelry for product application brochures, etc. - all indirectly pay the bills by saving time and $.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hakki View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Scott, I added some info!

I'm not familiar with nylon gear. Can you elaborate a bit?
    It is the soft gear that Military, police, and sportsmen use.
    I sketch an idea with rough dimensions, put it into CAD then cut the fabric on the laser, sew up a sample and make corrections. Once I'm happy I can burn as many copies as needed.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Most of us have spent many late nights and thousands of dollars figuring out how to make money with our machines. Do your homework and invest your time to find what works for you. Once you have that magic formula, do not post it in any public forum.
    Epilog Lasers

Ditto what Chuck said....
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hakki View Post
    As a recent laser cutter purchaser I'm interested to hear from the experienced guys around here. Are you making a living with it? Is it just another tool in a larger shop? And if you are making money off it whats your bread and butter? I'm trying to diversify my three dimensional signage business myself so I'll be looking at doing quick personalized engravings, plaques, key chains, trophies, etc. I am interested to hear of what unique markets you guys are in!

As a side note I'd also be interested to know how you ended up where you are at.

Cheers!
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Neat John! Thanks for taking the time. Are you making decorative texture panels, like wainscotting?
    5x10 Multicam router

That sounds very cool Scott!
    5x10 Multicam router

Kind of. OF course, I agree and have to employ what Chuck, Bill and Gary said, so I won't go into details. However, if you are a contributor, you can read all about my Machineable Opal on the Lumberyard Forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Hi Chuck, I'm sorry if my post strikes a nerve with you I imagine there are many similar ones over the years. I've built my main business from the ground up by doing exactly what you said. Long hours and late nights and a lot of failed ideas. I'm more than happy to share what I do with anyone who asks, the learning curve is so high and being in business takes so much they are welcome to try. I live in a small town in Canada, so honestly anything most of you guys are doing probably wouldn't be viable here anyway.

But yes, not everyone wants to share and I understand! But anyone who is interested to share, even loosely, what it is they do I'd love to hear! I'm just excited to have another tool in my shop, although I think my CNC router and Plasma cutter will always be the main money makers the laser cutter is a ton of fun.
    5x10 Multicam router

Jason

There have been quite a few threads on this topic over the years. I suggest trying to do some searches. There is plenty of material and great ideas. In this day and age everybody is a competitor so we don't share all we know but the most important sharing--"how to do something" or "how to fix something" is pretty freely shared.

As you will note by looking at our equipment lists, the laser is only one tool in our arsenal. Most of us have found that there are a number of related processes necessary to serve our customers. In my case laser engraving is not even half of my volume. If you look at my list you see woodworking. I no longer offer any woodworking service--that is for my own entertainment.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-05-2016 at 8:54 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    Kind of. OF course, I agree and have to employ what Chuck, Bill and Gary said, so I won't go into details. However, if you are a contributor, you can read all about my Machineable Opal on the Lumberyard Forum.
    Beautiful!
    5x10 Multicam router

Blog Entries
    Jason, I'm still waiting on my machine, but irregardless, the hard part really is what to focus on. The laser is such an amazing machine, there is so many things that it can be used to make,embellish, decorate, shape,mark, or enhance. Getting rid of the noise is the problem. I've got a ton of ideas,just getting a handle on a few and focusing on them will be hard. I know 90% of what I try will be worth nothing, but I guess that is the fun!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others