Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Using Cutlist Plus Software?

Question Anyone Using Cutlist Plus Software?

Anyone out there using Cutlist Plus (LINK)? Thinking about purchasing the Silver edition but wanted to hear from any who have been using it and what they thought. There doesn't seem to be too much out there around the net at far as reviews go on this type of software. I know there is also Maxcut which offers a free version, but Cutlist Plus looks like a much nicer program. I am also aware of the Cutlist plugin for SketchUp, but I don't use and dont really like SketchUp (prefer Solidworks) so that doesn't help me. And I have also read that many using Excel or graph paper and a pencil to do their sheet layouts but I would like something automated and with report/BOM generation so I'm really just interested in hearing from anyone who actually owns and uses this specific software.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've used CutList Plus Silver for a few years, Ben. Silver might be a bit excessive for me as a hobbyist but it was the cheaper upgrade from the old fx I used to have, so not a big deal. It does have a lot of functions I don't use like costing and labor which are aimed at a business. Things I like about it - ease of use, quick to generate layouts, layouts can be tweaked based on different parameters (min waste, grain direction and so on), easy to put parts in, raw materials list is very flexible. Hardly anything I don't like. Regarding the SketchUp link, am just dabbling with this but most projects I build, its quick to enter the parts into the list without a link. If I had to build something with 60/70 different parts might be worth it

It's pretty simple to set up a spreadsheet for figuring out door and drawer parts. If you need a cutlist for carcass parts, or face frames you need to make better drawings, or upgrade software. That stuff is easiest figured on the fly in my opinion. That doesn't figure out quantity of materials for you though, but I don't sweat that either. If I have too much I rack it and it gets burned up sometime later. If I don't have enough, I order more.

Most of those optimization setups for sheet stock aren't cost effective unless you're cutting parts on a CNC. As in, you're spending $10 in time making weird cuts to save $5 in material. Just look at the drawing on the screen of the link you posted. That's a nightmare to keep track of what order to cut parts in.

What doesn't work for me, works for others though.

This is an instance where I think the expense is more easily justified for a hobbyist than a pro, which is the reverse of normal imo. If you're a pro building lots of pieces time is money and, as Martin said, the effort just isn't worth it with the volume of sheet good you process. However if you're a hobbyist that doesn't have a lift of plywood in the shop to pull from then I think it makes sense.

I used to use cultist and think it's a great solution. I tried other online free programs (don't remember which) and found cultist had the better optimization. It's easy to use and reliable. I quit using it about 2 or 3 years ago when I switched my last PC to mac. Alas they don't/didn't offer a mac version. Can't comment on sketchup use though. I can't figure that program out to save my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    I've used CutList Plus Silver for a few years, Ben. Silver might be a bit excessive for me as a hobbyist but it was the cheaper upgrade from the old fx I used to have, so not a big deal. It does have a lot of functions I don't use like costing and labor which are aimed at a business. Things I like about it - ease of use, quick to generate layouts, layouts can be tweaked based on different parameters (min waste, grain direction and so on), easy to put parts in, raw materials list is very flexible. Hardly anything I don't like. Regarding the SketchUp link, am just dabbling with this but most projects I build, its quick to enter the parts into the list without a link. If I had to build something with 60/70 different parts might be worth it
    Thanks for this input. Hmmm, perhaps I will start with the basic version (cheapest) and see if I need/want anymore than that. I like the added features of the Silver edition, but it might be one of those things where they sound a lot cooler and more useful than they actually would be for my use.

Ben, they do offer a free trial that you've probably already seen

I've owned the Silver version for many years, although I honestly don't use it very much. I only pull it out when I'm designing something that uses sheet goods and need to determine material requirements and general cutting pattern for those sheet goods. I'd never use it for solid stock because I break things down carefully with grain and color considerations as a key decision point. The fact that it only runs on Windows also keeps me using it less and less, although I can (and do) easily run Windows in a virtual machine on my Mac.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ben

I just wanted you to be aware of Cutlist341, available for free at http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/CutList.htm. I have never used the commercial program that you mentioned, so I cannot compare them. I understand from the web that the commercial program is a bit more polished. I can say that cutlist 341 is completely adequate for my use. Like Jim, I mainly use it to lay out cuts on sheet goods.

Doug

I use it for every job. Can't imagine being at the saw without it. Setting up takes a little practice but once you have it down it's super easy. I import all my cultists from excel, which I've exported from my cabinet program. Setting up the import takes a little trial and error, but that's not too hard either.

All my parts are labeled on the sheet, so keeping track of them is too easy. We create numbered stacks and keep the parts together by type: i.e. All tops are together, all partitions in another stack, etc. Once assembly starts, we pull what we need from a stack.

I don't know how Marc and Martin do it. When one cabinet job has 400+ (And 1000s in total) unique parts, I can't imagine cutting them up without an optimizer (haven't done it manually since 2012 - and that sucked).

It's all about creating an export/import system. I hand my help the sheets and he's off to the races. I can work on solid stock or designing other jobs while all he has to think about is not cutting himself.

I have an older Gold Version (2009) that still works very well for me on most of the larger projects I do. I have used the Labor and Hardware options and have generated the basis for job proposals with it. Some of my projects included multiple cabinets and mixed materials and this software saved me loads of time. I have used it with SketchUp and it has be a real benefit in every instance. I never saw the need to upgrade to the fx versions since I use it with a laptop. It has continued to work under newer version of Windows, including Win10. YMMV.

Those that have older version, why have you not updated? Are the various edition purchases not lifetime to include future updates?

My version is from 2012. I have no need to upgrade. It works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    My version is from 2012. I have no need to upgrade. It works fine.
    But could you if you wanted? Are the updates included/lifetime? And I cant imagine why you wouldnt. If the tool can get better with upgrades and gain new functionality and you could get them for free, why the heck wouldnt you?!

I know you mentioned that you don't like Sketch-Up (what?!?! ) but I've used the CutList plug-in for and it works ok once you mess around with it a little while. For free, I'm not going to complain but it does get me going in the right direction. I had one instance with a vanity I was building and I couldn't get it to move two little drawer fronts off the 4th sheet of (totally unnecessary) plywood no matter what I did. Other than that, the other 3 sheets were optimized pretty decently but I was able to easily fit those two drawer fronts. Anyway...just wanted to point that out even though it doesn't pertain to you.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.