Thread: Bandsaw blades from Highland's

Bandsaw blades from Highland's

A few weeks ago I ordered a resaw blade and a couple of woodturner's blades from Highland's. When I finally got around to putting the WT blades on my G0513X2 they were too long to tension. I put a tape to one and it came out to 132", which is 1/2" too long. I'm still relatively new to band saws so I tried the resaw blade to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. It tensioned up nicely and has performed wonderfully for ripping stock. I call Highland's and they said they've had a couple of other calls recently from owners of the same saw with the same issue.

Here's the good part - they helped me troubleshoot over the phone to make sure it wasn't user error, and before we finished he said he would go to the warehouse and measure some to find me a couple of replacements. He even called back later to say he'd called Grizzly to discuss the saw's specs and that the shop that welds them up must be having issues measuring accurately since others have been having similar issues lately with the same blade, which has worked fine on my saw before.

Long story short, two days later I got the replacement blades in the mail along with a return shipping label. I don't like having to return stuff, but I do appreciate good service and will spread the word when I get it. Many thanks to Highland's for taking care of me!

I love Highland it is my favorite brick and morter WWing store, if you are ever in Atlanta it is a must visit, just a few minutes from downtown.

That said the same blade stock as the Kerfmaster is available from Iturra and Spectrum Supply (as the Blade Runner and Kerfmaster respectively) for significantly less. For example Spectrum has a sample pack of the 4 widths of Kerfmaster (Highland only carries 2 sizes) for $65 to fit your saw, individual 3/4" blades to fit your saw are $19 vs $39 from Highland. Part of the difference is Iturra and Spectrum both weld their own blades so there is one less middle man to pay.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Highland is one of my favorite stores and a must visit when I get to Atlanta. The only problem is I tend to spend about $400 and hour so I don't dare stay too long...

I have blades made locally (in Knoxville) where they weld them from Lennox stock, while you wait if they are not too busy. Excellent price, great blades, wide variety, quick access, and guaranteed satisfaction. Maybe there is a similar place in your area. This bandsaw blade shop is part of Holston Gas, primarily a bottled gas, welding, and industrial supplier. I have never gotten a badly welded blade from them.

It doesn't take much to make a bandsaw blade too long. Years ago one 3tpi bimetal blade of three from Woodcraft would not tension on my 18" Rikon. When I counted the teeth it was about ONE tooth longer than the other blades. This Woodcraft was no Highland. The clerk said he couldn't simply exchange it for a good one but had to return the first then sell me the second. Oh, by the way, the price just went up $5 so I have to charge you $5. Say what? When I tried to reason with him he started yelling at me, right in the middle of the store. Since then I've shopped elsewhere except for rare occasions - so far this store has lost more than $10k of my business over $5 and some needless yelling. The customer is not always right but seems like they should be treated right!

JKJ

Thanks for the tip Van. If the price is that much better I might check them out.