Thread: Saw Blade Sharpening System

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Saw Blade Sharpening System

Couldn't find a whole lot on the web except for what I would consider very high end machines for a large business. Anyone have a system they would recommend? I am wanting this for table saw blades.

I've seen where some have had good use with the HF setup, after tightening it up a bit.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/120-vol...ner-96687.html
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I read a thread where a guy got decent results with the HF one. I wouldn't use it on my good table saw blades but might be OK for rough chop saw work

This is the system I use. Get large flat rate box from USPS. Insert blades and packaging, address to Dynamic Saw. Have postman pick up flat rate box. Call Dynamic and give current CC info. Two weeks later, UPS brings blades back, sharpened as good as new, if not better. Works for me every time, and I don't even have to leave house, as I can order flat rate boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    This is the system I use. Get large flat rate box from USPS. Insert blades and packaging, address to Dynamic Saw. Have postman pick up flat rate box. Call Dynamic and give current CC info. Two weeks later, UPS brings blades back, sharpened as good as new, if not better. Works for me every time, and I don't even have to leave house, as I can order flat rate boxes.
    The exact same system has worked well for me. Be sure to NOT transpose the Zip Code numbers, it kinda slows the process.

I won't let anyone touch my sawblades unless they are using up to date CNC machines. The geometry of modern saw blades are so complex anything less will ruin a blade. I use Cook Industrial Tool in Texas but there are lots of goos ones like Dynamic, Ridge, Forrest, Daily etc.

An idea what is takes to sharpen modern sawblades:

http://www.cookssharpening.com/id3.html
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I can see where you are coming from, Van. But once you use a blade that I sharpen with my system, you might think otherwise. And I sharpen the ultra high end FS Tool XL 4000 laminate blade with negative hook for ZERO bottom tearout on melamine and veneer ply.

I never planned to sharpen my own until I came across a bunch of diamond blades from North Jersey Diamond Wheel co. They were 1" arbor, (about 800 grit continuous diamond), so I made 5/8" bushing, mounted one of them in my TS, and made a sliding dovetail slotted centering jig (magnetic back to position to match the hook angle on the cast iron table) and after ten years of sharpening my own carbide blades, they are honestly as good as when I used to send them out for sharpening. All I do is hit the faces and the blade is back to new. It takes about five minutes to touch up any of my blades - any of my six ATB's, both my TCG laminate blades and both my neg hook XL400's.

Just gotta get yourself one of these diamond wheels from NJDW co.

sharpening-main.jpgsharpening-clsr.jpgsharpening-tooth.jpg
    Last edited by John Blazy; 10-31-2016 at 5:46 PM. Reason: NJDW - forgot "diamond"
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I send mine to Forrest. It is a bit spendy and a bit far but the results are better than anything I've found locally and you just can't beat a razor sharp blade for superior results!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'm right in the middle on this. I would not want to sharpen my own newish expensive saws* but I've got 40 years of old saws gathering dust that would totally benefit from a quick sharpening on a homemade jig. Almost everything that comes off my table saw gets passed over the jointer so as long as it comes off straight, no problem. Most of them probably pre-date the complex geometry of todays saws anyway.

*H/T: VH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I'm right in the middle on this. I would not want to sharpen my own newish expensive saws* but I've got 40 years of old saws gathering dust that would totally benefit from a quick sharpening on a homemade jig. Almost everything that comes off my table saw gets passed over the jointer so as long as it comes off straight, no problem. Most of them probably pre-date the complex geometry of todays saws anyway.

*H/T: VH
    First, . Second, there is just no way I, personally, could ever accurately sharpen some of the modern grinds, all the old time guys with out CNC machines went the way of the dodo and they did it all their lives. I have a couple of Freud Next Gen Premier Fusion blades which I like very much and even if the teeth were the size of a #4 plane iron I could never sharpen the 40 teeth in an 30* hi ATB with a double side grind and a axial shear face grind, I can barely say it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well I think that's what I'm saying. Touch up the cheap ones for free, pay the pros to sharpen the good ones.

I definitely need to explore this.