Thread: Sourcing a sprocket for Steff maggi 2033 power feeder

Sourcing a sprocket for Steff maggi 2033 power feeder

Today I tried to remove one of the wheels of my Steff 2033 power feeder. The bolt holding the wheel was too tight. I pushed the wrench and tried both counter-clockwise and then a bit clockwise direction when I heard something snap! Eventually managed to loosen the nut and remove the wheel but upon turning on the feeder that wheel was not moving (others were). So it turns out one sprocket for that wheel is broken
    The shaft size is 15mm 12teeth and the outside diameter of teeth are 40.30mm or something close to that.
    I looked up the part on Steff-USA and I was shocked at the price:

http://www.steff-usa.com/Steff-Part-...g-41600018.htm

Does anybody know of any other supplier? I am in Canada.
    In case it matters, the chain has 06B marking and manual says "ring 24 strides 3/8",

sp1.jpgsp2.jpgsp3.jpgsp4.jpg

I bought my Maggi feeder from http://www.fcbmachinery.com/ in Edmonton. They are very helpful. Masse Sales also deals in them too. I recall Maggi was building the Felder feeders years ago, so they might have the parts.

You could check McMaster Carr to see if they have a similar sprocket that will work. They ship to Canada now and are remarkably fast.

Had not heard of them and I thought I knew them all! Thanks Brad. Will give them a call on Monday.

Measure from the center of one pin to the center of the next pin, that measurement will be the chain pitch. If the information from your manual is correct it looks like you have 24 pins and if they are .375 apart you would have a #35 chain. But I find it hard to believe that your chain and sprocket aren't metric.

You'll need to know the width of the key also if you order from McMaster, they're sprockets won't have a key built in to it. You may also need a master link for your chain, I don't know how they put that assembly together without one.

Checking at the McMaster web site shows 06B chain to be metric and they have a 12 tooth sprocket item #2302k1 for $14.19. You'd have to get it bored and keyed for your shaft. Still beats the $97 from Steff.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I bought my Maggi feeder from http://www.fcbmachinery.com/ in Edmonton. They are very helpful. Masse Sales also deals in them too. I recall Maggi was building the Felder feeders years ago, so they might have the parts.

You could check McMaster Carr to see if they have a similar sprocket that will work. They ship to Canada now and are remarkably fast.
    Correct, I was told the same a few weeks ago by my Felder rep in Calgary. Off topic: they are selling Powermatic now since General International has become unreliable.
    Almost $100 US for the sprocket from Steff USA is insane - add UPS shipping plus customs brokerage and that little sprocket will cost you almost $250 US.

Thanks Jerry. I have to see if finding a machine shop to re-bore and grind it for me is economical (and how much the charge would be).

I have a 440 volt steff 2044 I was planning to strip for parts. The sprocket on that one is probably identical to a 2033.

Thanks Denis but looking at the parts diagram, seems the parts are different.

That is a stinker. If it was me I'd light up the torch and repair it, to pay for this would likely drive me to replace rather than repair.

It seems the correct part is the following, which is much cheaper but the shipping is $35 (for a part that is about 1.5").

http://www.steff-usa.com/Steff-Part-...g-41600018.htm

I am checking with a few local shops to see if they can fabricate one for cheaper or even similar price. At least it will be steel!

Seems like it would just be easier to get the correct replacement part and move on. Consider it the cost of a lesson learned, I can't imagine a machine shop fabricating a one-off sprocket for anything close to the $80 that the replacement is going to cost.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Seems like it would just be easier to get the correct replacement part and move on. Consider it the cost of a lesson learned, I can't imagine a machine shop fabricating a one-off sprocket for anything close to the $80 that the replacement is going to cost.
    +1. And the key is cast into the OEM sprocket - probably due to the thin wall of the sprocket hub.

In order to u$e an aftermarket $procket, a machini$t will have to bore the replacement hub to $ize, broach a $hallow keyway into whatever hub i$ left, then cut a non-$tandard key to fit. If it fail$, you're now the proud owner of a 1-off, cu$tom built feeder. Time to vi$it the machine $$$hop again.

13. Dennis, I have a Steff 2038 that needs the articulated assembly that connects to the feeder support shaft on one end and to the motor housing on the other. I know this is a four year old thread, just wondering if you might still have some Steff parts left? Thanks, Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kenzior View Post
    I have a 440 volt steff 2044 I was planning to strip for parts. The sprocket on that one is probably identical to a 2033.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Thomasson View Post
    Dennis, I have a Steff 2038 that needs the articulated assembly that connects to the feeder support shaft on one end and to the motor housing on the other. I know this is a four year old thread, just wondering if you might still have some Steff parts left? Thanks, Bob
    Maggi's US supplier is now J&G Machinery out of NC: https://www.steff-usa.com/category-s/1822.htm

Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep