Thread: EM6500 from Target coatings and their cross linker.

EM6500 from Target coatings and their cross linker.

We are remodeling our kitchen. We have constructed our cabinets and are now spraying on the finish. We selected Target coatings EM6500 and had it tinted. We also are adding their cross linker to strengthen the lacquer and increase durability. I am using an Earlex 5000 HVLP sprayer. Whether I use the sprayer, or a roller, when it drys and I rub my had across the surface it feel sandy. But when I use the EM6500 without the cross linker, it is smooth. Has anyone else had this issue? We wanted durable and smooth to the touch cabinets, that is not what is happening.

Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

John
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

John, get in touch with the Target rep. If you have followed the instructions, you can expect it to work. Paint manufacturers always blame the applicator first, so be prepared for that. It sounds to me like a product issue, not an applicator issue.

In general, issues like this need to be brought to paint manufacturer ' s attention, otherwise they get complacent and we end up with too many mediocre coatings. Cheers

Thanks Wayne, I have emailed Jeff at Target coatings. We have experimented today, I cut the amount of crosslinker by 50% and it is producing less bumps. But is still bumpy.

John

John,

There are two areas I'd check carefully.

First, the amount of crosslinker you're adding. The instructions on their website cite 5% - 10% (https://www.targetcoatings.com/wp-co..._EM6000_R3.pdf)

Second, is ensuring you mix the crosslinker fully into the finish. My supplier (Wood Essence) recommends adding this additive very slowly while continually stirring for at least 5 minutes after it's added. Ensure you use either a timer or watch the clock carefully while stirring, as 5 minutes is much longer when you're stirring a finish than it seems!

As an aside, how old are the products you're using? The lacquer has additives to help it harden (it's actually a pre-catalyzed lacquer) which start to degrade over time, so it it's older than 24 months, then that may be part of your problem. I am not certain how old the cross-linker can be, as my experience with it isn't yet adequate to venture a comment in this regard. But your supplier and the manufacturer should be able to answer that for you.

If you continue to have difficulties after you've confirmed you're complying with both of these, then it could be you're having a problem with either the lacquer or the cross-linker... or both.

Hope this helps, and please let us know what word you get back from your supplier and TC.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

We used a 5% mixture, then after I posted the first message, I reduced it to 2.5%, the sandy feeling was there but less prevalent. This morning I am spraying the lacquer without the crosslink and the finish is beautiful. The product was shipped to us direct from Target Coatings last month (September 23, 2016) so age should not be an issue. We did stir it in for 2-3 minutes. And it sat for at least 2 hours before we sprayed it. We always strained the material when filling the paint pot. During the day, I would swish the paint pot around to keep it mixed between coats. We have decided not to use the crosslink and I hope that I can return the 2 unused bottles for a refund. Thanks Marty for your comments and suggestions. I appreciated you taking the time to respond. Your comments are a great help. I will let you know what Jeff at Target Coatings says when I get his reply.

John

On a slightly different note, do you like the color you are getting? I stained some furniture about four years ago then used a normal lacquer from Sherwin Williams, and the EM 6000 on a test piece. The difference was startling, with the EM 6000 being much cooler. In fact it changed the look from a warm tone to a stronger purple shade that had no warm tones at all. Ended up using the 6000 as that was the look my wife preferred.