Thread: Need advice on couple of tools for new shop.

Need advice on couple of tools for new shop.

So I have the opportunity to buy a used Hegnar MULTI MAX-18 scroll saw in very good condition for an extremely good price. Don't know how much scrolling I will be doing but it is really cheap. I am also considering a Rockwell/Delta shaper model #43-340 that comes with about 30 cutters for less than $400. However, I believe it is 3 phase and I will need a VFD. To note, I do not currently have a great router set up, I am using a bosch router table without a lift and a hitachi m12vc. I also have the dewalt dwp611 for my smaller projects. I am new to woodworking and just getting my shop up, should be finished hopefully by next week (has been a year long project). I really want to do a lot of veneer work.

Should I save the money on the shaper and put it into a better router table set up or buy the shaper? Should I buy the scroll saw without knowing how much I will use it?

Side note: I was also luck enough to pick up a Kuper veneer stitcher for EXTREMELY CHEAP at an auction, no one knew what it was and a University was getting rid of it .

I have a Hegnar scroll saw and really like it..... I bought my Hegnar after owning and being totally frustrated with cheap scroll saws.

Robert

If you're not going to use it, don't buy it. Goes for both machines.

If you want to do veneer work, outfit your shop with want you need. Do you have a vacuum press? If you want to cut your own veneer you'll need a good (big) bandsaw.

I don't know much about using a shaper vs. a router table, though that sounds like a pretty reasonable price if the shaper cutters are in good condition and are useful profiles. I have that same Hegner scrollsaw and have been happy with it. It needs to be bolted to a metal stand or clamped down to a workbench or it will vibrate around. But once that's done it's smooth and cuts well. If the price is that low, you could always sell it for a profit if you don't end up using it. Parts and Support are available in the USA through Advanced Machinery. It's a rather expensive machine if bought new.

--Geoff

Thanks for the advice, I may end up getting the scroll saw, but I will probably skip the shaper. I am planning on doing a quad matched walnut burl headboard and footboard on a new bed that I would like to make a rail and stile framing for the panel with the shaper. However, this could also probably be done on the router too. I have a two year old daughter that I could see making some small things for with the scroll saw that she may enjoy, it may be worth the purchase, it is VERY reasonable.

I am going to be making a frame vacuum press for one of my first projects for veneering. I won't be doing much homemade veneer, yet... I may in the future but in the beginning I plan on working mostly with raw exotics and burls.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron carter View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I may end up getting the scroll saw, but I will probably skip the shaper. I am planning on doing a quad matched walnut burl headboard and footboard on a new bed that I would like to make a rail and stile framing for the panel with the shaper. However, this could also probably be done on the router too. I have a two year old daughter that I could see making some small things for with the scroll saw that she may enjoy, it may be worth the purchase, it is VERY reasonable.

I am going to be making a frame vacuum press for one of my first projects for veneering. I won't be doing much homemade veneer, yet... I may in the future but in the beginning I plan on working mostly with raw exotics and burls.

You can probably flip the Hegnar at any point for a profit if it is in good shape. In all honesty if you really get into using a shaper you will likely quickly grow out of the Delta HD shaper, it is only heavy duty when compared to Delta's little shapers of that time but it still is more powerful than the best router table.

While I cut a decent amount of veneer it is cheaper to buy the highly figured and exotic veneers unless you just happen onto a dead tree with an awesome burl. The difficulty of cutting veneer in the shop as thin as commercial veneer (~1/42) without a first class resaw bandsaw and power feeder is enough of a chore without the fact you are turning a lot of great wood into sawdust. By cutting in the shop you are loosing one or more sheets of veneer per SHEET cut out of a board compared to commercial veneer given the kerf of the blade. I used to stubbornly do this but it is not economically feasible if you are paying for the lumber.

I assume your Kuper is a FWM machine, maybe a 630? Hopefully yours runs well, the ones I have had contact with either ran like a top or were seemingly cursed. While I would have bought it too for cheap I find it about as quick (or quicker) to tape up matched faces though I would like to have one for sewing up backer veneer.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Don't know how much scrolling I will be doing but it is really cheap.
    Sometimes it seems like this sums up almost every tool purchase...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I have two Hegner saws and use them a lot. IF you can get the Hegner at a good price, grab it. There are many ways to use a scroll saw and Hegner is one of the best.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Aaron

I have a scroll saw that I used on one project some 15 years ago. It's been in the box ever since. I think a scroll saw is one of those tools that you know you will use.
    The Delta 43-340 is a nice shaper. For $400.00, as long as it is running and is in reasonably good shape, you pretty much can't go wrong. You won't get the equivalent convenience, and utility, from adding $400 to your current router setup. You can always sell whatever cutters you don't need, or want.
    (BTW, some of the parts for the Delta are very much in demand. Original spindles, and the OEM router conversion collett are very desirable. )
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-29-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'm on the other end. If you're just getting started in woodworking, I'd take the money and get a good router table setup, including a nice lift. A shaper can be a dangerous tool, especially without a power feeder.

Regarding the scroll saw, if it's a great price, buy it and see how you like working with it. A lot of people buy a scroll saw and then find they don't really like the work. I bought mine from a guy like that - his wife thought she wanted to do scroll work, but rapidly give up on it.

But if you get it for a great price, you can always flip it. Only issue is the 18" throat. Many people want a deeper throat (for example, mine is 26").

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What is being asked for the Hegner? I paid $425 for a gently used, third-hand model and absolutely love working with it. But it isn't one of the first machines I'd ever buy...
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Thanks for all of the advice, this stuff is coming out of a high school shop and the scroll saws were not used hardly at all. I can pick up the Hegner for about $150, they also have a powermatic 221 planer 3 phase 5hp for dirt cheap. I already have a Dewalt 735. There is another Walker Turner 3210 band saw 3 phase as well that would go well with my Walker Turner Table saw that I have haha. They also have a powermatic Houdaille #30 belt/disk sander 3phase. Everything is about an hour away from my house, not a big deal but don't know if I want to go all in on 3 phase equipment and have to get a large rotary converter for multiple machines... but everything is in such good condition the price of the rotary converter divided among the machines I may pick up the planer just for decoration haha thats how cheap it is, it is in great condition! Weighs about 2,500 lbs though. Oh man the black hole that is woodworking tools...! I am newer to woodworking but I am very committed to this hobby, too much too soon? haha Put it this way, I could probably get the planer, band saw, shaper, sander, scroll saw for about $1,000. Everything three phase except the scroll saw.

Right now my main tools are:
    Walker Turner Table saw:
    Harbor freight 14" band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer
    Older Delta 6" jointer unsure of model
    Hitachi M12VC router
    Dewalt PM611 router

My shop is 24x24, almost completed.IMG_20131112_204635.jpg20161027_172640.jpg

Buy it all and flip what you don't need or want (due to power requirements), if you're getting it for a real "good" price!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

VFDs are dirst cheap and easy to wire, I prefer them to RPC for 5hp and under.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.