Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection - help deciding best approach.

Elaine I think you made a good choice. I would suggest a cannister filter.

Your 2x4 roof rafters will certainly hold an air filtration unit. Rather than attaching directly to rafters, I would surface mount a couple 2x4's with lag bolts. This way you can place the unit much more easily.

In a shop your size, the filtration unit does not need to be much. You may even want to consider building one. There are many DIY videos on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Am confused, Elaine - you said you decided against a cyclone but then you got a metal dust deputy, which is a cyclone?
    Andy, I meant the already made cyclone for $1600. Given what I had read I wasn't sure it was worth the added money.

Ah, ok, understood

Elaine,

If you bought a metal SDD, you may want to look at this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...question/page2

Thanks James for the tip. I'll see about getting an earth magnet. Cheers.

Eaine

Did you know that the latest issue of Fine Woodworking has an article on duct collection? The recommendations are essentially similar to the ones I made, except he uses a smaller dust collector and moves it from tool to tool. (Excuse my lack of humility)

Doug

I tried to post a document here I wrote about wood dust but it's a little big for this website. But if you look at OSHA's recommendation for the level of wood dust that is OK for occupational exposure, 8 hours per day for 5 days a week, it is a lot higher than Bill Pentz's recommendation. I like Bill's website and use it for DC information but you have to understand Bill has health issues that force him to filter not just his shop air but also his house air. Things that do not bother most of us cause him medical issues. So he controls dust to a lower level. He can't go outside when it is a little dusty and can't be out long even when it is clean. So if you are as sensitive as he is, then what he recommends for a DC is a good idea (although I don't think Clear Vue is the only good cyclone).

If you further look at the Dylos results on this website and use a translation on Bill's website you find out that the ~500,000 in Dylos units you need to get to for your shop to exceed the OSHA recommended level (that is for 40 hours a week exposure). I saw no reported results with or without dust collection of a Dylos reading near 500,000. 10,000 was about the maximum. Bill Pentz thinks that 0.1mg/m3 (instead of the 5 mg/m3 OSHA recommends) is right. That's a factor of 50 less and means that our shops can get there. But with a small DC running, the reports I've seen don't exceed 6,000 - not a 5 hp DC but a 1.5 or 2 hp DC. So I don't think the measurements support the need for 5 hp DCs for most of us.

A dust collector is certainly a tool where going a bit overboard is not a terrible idea. At the bare minimum it will help to reduce your cleanup (as long as you discharge outside or have a good filter). But for a small shop (mine is 14x24) I don't think there is room for a 5hp DC and, fortunately, I think the data says most of us do not need one. I use a shop vacuum with a dust deputy cyclone and a quasi hepa filter. If I added a DC tomorrow, I would buy a HF 2hp (using a 20% off coupon) and add an Oneida Super Dust Deputy. I would discharge outside (my shop is not heated or cooled). I had a 1 hp DC and it was too small. It helped but couldn't keep up with the planner or jointer. Correctly ducted, I think the HF can. I used a cartridge filter on the 1hp after trying bad and better bags but I hated cleaning it. And I had to do it a lot. That is what the cyclone minimizes which is a BIG deal to me. I also wouldn't want to discharge outside without the cyclone to get most of the dust. My dust deputy on the shop vac gets even fine drywall dust. The reports I've seen on the super dust deputy says it doesn't do as well but I think it will be OK for me. I would arrange it to fit into about a 2 foot square space (that is an advantage of the HF with the motor and blower easily separable).

The one thing you do not want to do under any circumstances is use a DC (like I did) with coarse bags. I think my first ones were 25 microns. That collects your chips but blows the fine dust that is a hazard up in your face. Don't do it. Use 1 micron bags or, better, a good cartridge filter. Spend money on filtration before going to higher HP. Or discharge outside if your setup supports it.

Get the Cantek if it's still available. Build a Thien separator for it and vent outside. You can keep the footprint to the diameter of the barrel you use since you won't have to have space for a filter if you vent outside. A shop that small really doesn't need ductwork, just locate the DC in a central spot and use a short length of flex hose.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I think Deb's suggestion is worth considering if your electrical panel can handle it - it would be a heck of a deal.
    However, since you're on the "wet" coast I don't know how venting outside would affect the RH in your shop, a dust collector can easily replace the air inside the shop in a matter of minutes.

Hi Elaine,

A lot of advice has been given to you. Keep in mind that everyone has there own idea of what is best. It is the fine dust that you can't see that will get you. That being said, don't stress about it, just don't ignore it.
    I think you have made a good decision so far. I think your set up will work just fine. My shop is 1700 sf, and I have a 3 hp cyclone. Works just fine.

I could not work all of the time with a respirator. I would highly recommend an air cleaner. I think it would be to your advantage to reinforce your ceiling so it would support the air cleaner. That would keep your air clean, and you would not have to ware the respirator.

Sam

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade your Jet, given your cost constraints. Build a Thien Pre-separator for your DC and get a Dust Deputy for your shop vac. Replace your bag filter with a cannister filter.

I also wouldn't collect chips from the lathe in a DC. For the lathe I prefer to use my air cleaner mounted above my workstation, and to allow the shavings to fall where they may. Lathe chips on anything bigger than a chair spindle can quickly clog my dc and fill the collector.

I use my dust deputy / shop vac on the drill press, router, and sander. The tablesaw is the worst dust offender in my shop because it SPRAYS dust out.

Grizzly ships to Canada very reasonably priced. They respond to email questions prior to purchase. I went with their 3 hp cyclone and have been incredibly happy. Had an issue with the filter cleaning brush on shipping that they took care of within 2 weeks ( I had the new brush installed on the filter in under two weeks no charges) of me sending pics in an email. The performance has been amazing too. My shop is @ 26X26. I recommend ducting the system. I tried a portable single stage and flex hose before and hated it. Plan your ducting with the option to add on byplacing some wyes that are capped but can be used later. Pay the extra now go a little bigger than what you think and be done with it the first time.