Thread: Thoughts on overhead air filter?

Thoughts on overhead air filter?

I have a JDS overhead air filter, taken down from my old shop, and never installed in the new one. I have been thinking about installing it somewhere other than the ceiling, perhaps on the bottom shelf of an outfeed table, or on a shelving unit.

Any thoughts on efficiency, putting it somewhere like that??

Thanks,
    Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The two things I’ve heard discussed as far as positioning of such units are clear space and breathing area.

You want clear space around the unit so that the air circulates and is filtered by the unit. Placing it against a wall is going to limit the circulation more than if it is in the center of the room. Likewise, putting it low and possibly surrounded by other objects is going to limit circulation.

Breathing area is that you tend to want it more at head level so that it is filtering the air that you’re going to be breathing. Filtering at floor level isn’t going to be doing as much good for you.

Hi Rick,

Try to mount at about 8-10 feet above the floor (no lower than 6'or 2/3 of the floor to ceiling distance if less than 8' ceiling). Mount along the longest wall so the intake is approximately 1/3 the distance from the shorter wall. Mount no further than 4-6 inches from the wall. Also make sure that your main work area is on the exhaust side of the air filter.

Sam

Try this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tration-System

Also, the manual gives placement recommendations.

JKJ

Better late than never. After much consideration, because of the way my shop is laid out I am going to install it on a tool tower that I can move around. This also lets me get to the controls, as my unit has no remote.

Maybe I can incorporate a clamp rack into the design too?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-05-2016 at 3:08 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Sounds like a good plan,and also having it serve dbl duty(clamp rack).

Cpl things to add;we have a 24" filter squirrel cage mounted near the 10'3 ceiling in our shop,along one wall,works great.We used to have a Jet scrubber "on wheels",that got used on site.Would also take this and throw it on trash barrels.Worked VG.And interestingly,we JUST mounted a smallish,12" filter squirrel cage(CL,35$) under/in the cabinet under one of our shapers.It only handles a small amt of residual dust from shaper...which isn't the primary element.This shaper is the only one of four that's"mobile".The main function was to utilize wasted,otherwise space.

It's a 3 sp fan.It's been taking up space under a bench,so was a "doh" idea to get it actually paying it's way.Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by Brian W Smith; 11-05-2016 at 4:40 PM.