Thread: Router with 1/2" collet

Router with 1/2" collet

I saw a used router, ELU 2721, for sale for $26. Looked good and solid, so I bought it. Turns out it has a 1/2" collet. All my bits are 1/4" (because my old router takes 1/4 bits).

IMAG0631.jpgI think Black & Decker took over ELU and offered a similar-looking router with same model number. I can spend $38 for a 1/4" collet that might fit, or $25.50 for a DeWalt that might fit.

I see shank reducers for about $13, but I'm not sure how well they work.

So my options are
    Start a collection of 1/2" bits.
    To buy the 1/4" collet that I hope will fit.
    But a shank reducer for about $13.50.
    To write off the $26 I spent for the ELU.

Any suggestions?

Looks exactly like my Dewalt 610 I think the model number is. I would bet the Dewalt collet would drop right in. The collet reducers I have work fine. Save some $$.

You should be able to get a 1/4" collet for that router. But for some router bits, a 1/2" shank is much more stable than a 1/4". Now that you have a router with a 1/2" collet it might be a good time to start purchasing some 1/2" shank bits.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would both get a 1/4 collet and start to buy 1/2 bits. My routers take either, except for the motor in my router table which only takes 1/2. I use a reducer in the rare event I need to use a 1/4 shank bit in the router table. It works. But a 1/4 collet is less likely to slip. And a 1/2 collet is substantially less likely to slip than a 1/4.

Go with the 1/2" bits. You'll be happy.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I had a few early 90's era Elu routers (still going strong) that were indeed replaced by DeWalt, after B&D discontinued their industrial line, and started promoting the yellow stuff. Sadly, much of the stuff made to look identical to the Elu wasn't made nearly as well (had a few of Elu's other tools as well, and the newer DeWalt versions).

I know with the larger plunge routers, the collets are not the same even though the routers otherwise look identical. So, I'd be careful.

As an aside, B&D made a rack and pinion adjustment router way back as well. We had two in the shop when I was a little kid in the 70's. I had bought an Elu one exactly like that in about 92, and its still going strong (although the bearings have been replaced a few times). I doubt the newer DeWalt stuff will last nearly as long.
    Andrew J. Coholic

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Good router, I have the B&D identical twin. the rack and pinion adjustment is great, wish a few of my other routers had it. I have a split collet adaptor that works fine, handy to have but rarely use it as most of my bits are 1/2". You'll like the heavier shanks bits- WAYYY less vibration and chatter and there are a lot more industrial grade bits available in 1/2" shank

Thanks everyone for you advice.

I bought a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer, which didn't fit. I had been assuming 1/2. As best I can measure, my collet is a little over 3/8. I don't have any 3/8 router shanks to try, so just for giggles I tried putting a 3/8 shank drill bit in. I was unable to tighten the collet.

So what do you think I have? Could this be metric, at about 10 mm?

Thanks.

I think it will be 12MM about 15/32". I think they use 6mm,8mm, and 12mm.

Blog Entries
    A good reducer will do fine. As mentioned, when your bits get beyond a resharpening I would replace them with 1/2" shank bits and enjoy the better cut.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A good reducer will do fine. As mentioned, when your bits get beyond a resharpening I would replace them with 1/2" shank bits and enjoy the better cut.
    Maybe not if the collet is 12 mm (1/2"=12.7 mm). One trick I recall when using bushings is to align the slots in the router's collet with the slots in the bushing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Maybe not if the collet is 12 mm (1/2"=12.7 mm). One trick I recall when using bushings is to align the slots in the router's collet with the slots in the bushing.

Thanks Curt, I missed post #9 ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I bought my Elu, it came with both 1/4 and 1/2 cullets.
    You should be able to buy one from some one. Maybe on the net that shall be unnamed.

Re the difference in performance of 1/2 vs 1/4 cullets...the 1/2 gets my vote big time. It is just a whole lot more stout than the 1/4 in bits.

The Elu is a really good router until BD got it's wallet and not quality involved IMO.

Enjoy the shavings!

Another vote for 1/2" router bits. The only 1/4" bits I use any more are small straight and trim cutters in compact routers.