Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw advice

Table saw advice

I acquired a Delta Unisaw for free. It is a 3 phase 5hp 34-806 made in 93. It has a mobile base and side table. It is a monster of a saw an much more than I need. But can you ever have too much saw?

Would you install a VFD and run it as is, swap the motor to a 3hp single phase, sell it and buy a used 3hp single phase saw?

VFD is anywhere from 150 and 600 bucks.

New motor is between 400 and 600.

Sell and re-buy would be a hassle and take some time.

I have an older Craftsman job site saw that just does not cut the mustard for me anymore so I plan on selling it and using the profit to partially fund the modifications to the Unisaw.

The biggest things I do is ripping down and dado'ing plywood.

Your thoughts? Cost is always a factor.
    Last edited by Brian Bres; 10-23-2016 at 2:46 PM.

It sounds like this is way more saw than you need. It would be fine if it functioned for you as it sits but it doesn't and you're going to have to invest money and effort into making it work for you. If it were me, I would sell both saws and buy a different saw that best fits your needs and your shop.
    - Mike

http://www.factorymation.com/acdrives?page=2
    VFD is $339 plus I would spend the extra for dust proof enclosure.
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
    A static converter is $191. You will lose 1/3 hp which would give you a little over 3 hp. Static converter uses a capacitor to create the third leg and then drops out so you're basically running on single phase. it's your cheapest option. A rotary phase converter could run $1000

In an ideal world, what kind of saw would you have based on your shop space and needs? If it's anything but a portable job site saw that you need to put away every time, they all have the footprint.

So just because it's a 5hp 3 phase saw doesn't mean it's "too much saw" IMO. It's the same physical size saw as a 3hp single phase, or a 1.5 Uni or hybrid. The amount of infeed/outfeed/support table of course makes it bigger, but that's the same no matter which saw you have.

I suggest keeping it and adding a phase converter. I'm not sure (someone please chime in) but I think you can use a 3hp VFD on it ($200) if you need to save a few bucks. I'd rather have th functionality of the VFD vs the static phase converter. Same hp in the end.

And by the way, nice gloat on a FREE saw!!!

Get a VFD and don't look back.

I am running about 2/3 of my shop tools on VFDs. I use almost exclusively Factorymation TECO VFDs, although the models available on Ebay for about half the price are getting good reviews and I will probably try one of them next time I need one. All of them are standard enclosures and I just blow the sawdust out of them whenever I remember, which isn't very often.

You don't necessarily need a 5 HP VFD to run a 5 HP table saw. I have been running a 5 HP Delta 12/14" table saw (often with a 14" blade) with a 3 HP VFD for years, as are several other guys over at OWWM. It has NEVER tripped out on overcurrent and I have cut some pretty big stuff, probably bigger than you would cut on a Unisaw. A VFD will put out 150% of it's rated capacity for some time before it shuts down on over current, and with normal cutting, you're very rarely, if ever, going to even pull full load amps on your saw unless you have a very bad pinch. Another advantage of a VFD is it replaces your motor starter and all of the associated wiring.

Buy a VFD. 3HP delivered to your door is about $141. I bought a Huang Yang on EBay for my 36" bandsaw. Easy to wire. Nice score !

to run 5 hp 3 phase motor wouldn't ya need 7.5 to 10 hp vfd...

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Keep the recommendations coming.
    I forgot to add in the OP that the saw also has a 52" unifence.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    to run 5 hp 3 phase motor wouldn't ya need 7.5 to 10 hp vfd...
    Eugene,
    Why is that? A 5hp VFD can not power a 5hp motor? I am not being a wise guy, truly interested in learning about these VFD things. I have not heard of them before yesterday when I found out I have a 3 phase motor and I know very little about them.

That's absolutely not "too much saw". Get a VFD and don't look back.

If you absolutely do not want to go with a VFD, get a 3 HP single phase motor for it. 3 HP will do anything you need to do and will be less expensive than a 5 HP.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Get a VFD and be done with it. I would suggest not choosing one of the budget Chinese eBay offerings, while some people are happy with them there are also quite a few horror stories.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would keep the saw, you got it for free, so whatever option you do you will still be ahead of the game. Selling a 3 phase could be tough since most residential properties don't have 3 phase.

Thanks again all for your recommendations. It seems a VFD wins. I purchased a Huanyang off ebay. 4k 5hp unit. Fingers crossed it works. Since I don't plan on cutting 6" hardwood made from steel I think I will be ok based on everything I have read. But there is nothing like real world experience. Time will tell.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222271460477

This weekend I plan on running a 220v 30 amp receptacle too the front of the garage for power, I have a 100 amp sub panel in there. The VFD will be mounted on the left side of the saw cabinet. I will wire the motor direct to the VFD, install a on/off switch on the machine to utilize the VFD control circuits. The saw will then be plug and cord connected. I hope to never have any other 3 phase equipment in the future.

I was looking at the same VFD for next time. Please let us know how it works out.

I hope your install goes as simple as mine. I had my bandsaw up and running 10 minutes after I wired a Huang Yang 3 HP unit to it. I don't have a switch wired to it yet, I just leave it unplugged when not in use so the fan isn't running constantly. I'm extremely happy with mine. There's only a dozen or so settings to monkey with and you'll be cutting. There's info online for which settings those are. If you're in a pinch, give me a holler. I have all the setting changes written down, although based on your motor a couple would be different, easy to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I was looking at the same VFD for next time. Please let us know how it works out.
    Will do Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rimel View Post
    I hope your install goes as simple as mine. I had my bandsaw up and running 10 minutes after I wired a Huang Yang 3 HP unit to it. I don't have a switch wired to it yet, I just leave it unplugged when not in use so the fan isn't running constantly. I'm extremely happy with mine. There's only a dozen or so settings to monkey with and you'll be cutting. There's info online for which settings those are. If you're in a pinch, give me a holler. I have all the setting changes written down, although based on your motor a couple would be different, easy to determine.
    Thanks for the offer Eric. I will certainly keep you in mind if I run into a jam.