Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneida V-3000 newer resin series reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post
    I currently have a Jet 1100 with 6” pvc mains. Longest run is 15’. It does pretty well, but now that I have added a 16” b/s, I want to go to 3hp.
    No one has mentioned making the transition from the Oneida 7” outlet to pvc 6”. Anyone have a good method?
    Metal transition from 7" to 6" and then use a short piece of metal 6" to fit to the PVC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I currently have a Jet 1100 with 6” pvc mains. Longest run is 15’. It does pretty well, but now that I have added a 16” b/s, I want to go to 3hp.
    No one has mentioned making the transition from the Oneida 7” outlet to pvc 6”. Anyone have a good method?
    Not sure about PVC, but this is what I used to adapt the 7" inlet on my V-3000 to the 6" main metal ducting I ran: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

What a surprise. Based on your link, it appears that Oneida finally started selling reducers that are made for the SDD. I bought a 6" to 5" and 5" to 4" from them after explaining on the phone exactly what I wanted them for. They sent me standard fittings that are available at Home Depot for half the price. Neither one of them fit. I had to do a lot of crimping and duct taping to get them to work. That little interchange made them look like complete fools to me.

Over the years there have been quite a few complaints about their customer service. Don’t get why they can’t fix that.

Blog Entries
    Over the years there have been quite a few complaints about their customer service. Don’t get why they can’t fix that.
    Ya, pre-sales was excellent, post sales service was abysmal. Went through 3 or 4 different reps & finally just gave up. I won't be shopping Oneida again based on that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I also have a Clearvue 1800 installed in my basement. Because of very low ceiling height I made three modifications to accommodate my space:

I mounted the two Wynn filters side by side by constructing a simple MDF split manifold off of the fan output elbow and used a/c insulated duct to bridge the transition

I used the space between my floor joists to mount the motor and fan.

I used a shorter dust bin (35 gal) available from Penn State Ind. (easier to empty a shoerter bin)

Total required installation height (including the joist space) was 91"

My installation has been in use for at least five years and I am very pleased with it
    Paul:
    I also have height limitations for a DC system. Do you have any photos you can send me showing the side-by-side filter arrangement, and the fit between the joists. I tried to send a PM but your box is full. If you are able to send photos, please send a PM and I will reply with an email address. Thanks.

Ed
    Last edited by Edward Weingarden; 07-28-2018 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Removal of personal contact info.

Ed you open yourself to a lot of Spam and Phishing emails when you post your email and phone number on an open forum. Edit out the info and private message him directly. If he responds then send him your info.

8. Peter:
    Thank you for the heads-up. I tried to PM Paul but his mailbox is full. I will nonetheless delete the contact info.

Ed

The CV can be installed on an angle if needed and it will still work, I guess the same would apply for the Oneida. If you are pushed for height for the collection box/drum you could make a custom one that had a larger floor area to make up for the short height. Just make sure it is absolutely leak free or the cyclone will carry some debris into the exhaust.

If I was buying a new cyclone I would buy a three phase model and run it from a VFD, as Peter points out it has so many advantages and makes it a way better machine. Why companies that sell these haven't worked that out yet I don't know. Even if I had three phase I would still use a VFD for all the same reasons.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post

If I was buying a new cyclone I would buy a three phase model and run it from a VFD, as Peter points out it has so many advantages and makes it a way better machine. Why companies that sell these haven't worked that out yet I don't know. Even if I had three phase I would still use a VFD for all the same reasons.
    Oneida has used VFDs on their Smart systems for a few years but they do not, however, leave the VFD "open" to allow one to change parameters.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Oneida has used VFDs on their Smart systems for a few years but they do not, however, leave the VFD "open" to allow one to change parameters.
    They chosen to ignore the Oz market so I was not aware of that.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    The CV can be installed on an angle if needed and it will still work, I guess the same would apply for the Oneida. If you are pushed for height for the collection box/drum you could make a custom one that had a larger floor area to make up for the short height. Just make sure it is absolutely leak free or the cyclone will carry some debris into the exhaust.

How much is the cost for the three phase equipment plus the VFD? Seems like most of these conversations boil down to balancing best options versus afforability.

Last January the VFD (Powtran model P19130A 004G1) was about $170US plus shipping of about $75US. I haggled them down to $50US for the shipping but I'm Canadian and being nice helps. I don't know what effect your new tariffs will have on the prices. The difference between a CV with single phase and three phase is about $25. So going to the three phase setup would be under $300US.

"...but I'm Canadian and being nice helps. "
    Oh, Peter, you cut me deep. We're not all ugly Americans, unless you count not being politically correct, in which case I am guilty.

OK, so I'm lucky if I can tell the hot from the neutral electrically. So, the VFD makes the conversion from single to three phase and varies the motor speed? If I go that route, how do I know what speed to run at for a given tool? I would have to adjust the VFD for various situations, right?

Even heavy breathing isn't politically correct if you aren't pushing a loaded wheel barrow so we are all guilty sometimes.

I got the variable speed to be able to experiment with what may be needed. For example you can never have enough DC around a lathe so running 65cycle or maybe a bit more will give the extra there. Same goes if you make a downdraft/backdraft sanding station. If you want to clear the air when doing some power carving with a dental hand piece or Dremel then taking the speed down to what you need to capture the dust and smoke would be in order. If you felt the need to clear the air for a while after running the machine you can reduce it to where it isn't loud but still filters the room air understanding it wouldn't be as efficient electrically as a dedicated unit. Basically it is experimenting with each operation to see what will work. The Dyson particle counter I have will aid in that. If you have marginal electrical service, the soft start a VFD can be programmed for will reduce the amperage draw at startup allowing you to work without tripping breakers or dimming the neighbourhood lights. When mine is up and running I'll be playing with the settings to see what best works at each machine. I suspect i will only have 3 or 4 settings that will get used. Foot to the floor, 100% for most machines and at a whisper for light power carving and occasional air filtering.