Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneida V-3000 newer resin series reviews

Oneida V-3000 newer resin series reviews

I thought after all my research I had finally decided on the Clearvue but I have come full circle and am seriously considering the V-3000 which I had dismissed before due to some negative comments on this site.

I realized that there was a change in 2015 from steel to resin, most of the negativity about the short design referred to the steel one. Does anyone know if the change to resin tweaked the interior of the cyclone at all for better performance over the steel one?

I realize the Clearvue is probably a better cyclone. However my ceiling is 94" tall. I figured that wouldn't be a problem since I am in a detached garage and I would cut just cut the drywall. I then realized that since the bracket is 18" deep, it's not just a matter of cutting drywall, I will be modifying joists as well to have the room to slide it in. To compound problems it would limit me to the two gable end walls which is not the ideal place to put it.

Part of me looks forward to putting the Clearvue together and watching it swirl around inside. The other part of me dreads cutting metal trash can lids and caulking everything.

They both have free shipping right now but the Oneida comes with stand, dust bin, electrical starter, etc. I could be up and running in hours instead of days. I wish the SDG was in the cards but that's just pushing the budget a little to high.

Has anyone who has owned the resin model for the last year or so had any problem with the filter clogging, or noticed excessive fines in the bottom of the filter due to poor separation?

I purchased the V-3000 this summer and installed it in my garage workshop. This is my third cyclone, previously owned a woodsucker and 5hp Grizzly....they both were screaming loud. I bought the Oneida Resin cause is was supposedly quieter....and it is. Much quieter, the quietest cyclone I have used. And it works great too.

I still wear hearing protection but it doesn't disturb the house as much as the louder metal cyclones would do. I have no problems with the Oneida....the filter works great...only had to clean it once. The separation is very good. I follow Bill Penz's advice and run a 5 or 6 ft straight piece of pipe into the cyclone... helps with separation. So many put a turn right out of the inlet which roils the air and hurts separation imho. In order to avoid the turn I did have to raise the cyclone stand off the floor. Get the 50 gallon drum...its fills so fast.

Ive only been running mine for a few months now and only on the weekends, so I am not a heavy user. That said I was like you and couldnt fit a ClearVue and I didnt like how much was involved in assembling the thing. So far I have been very impressed with the V-3000 in a single car garage sized shop with all metal ducting, 6" main vein, and 7 drops. I cant imagine Ill ever need anything more in this shop for dust collection at the source. I was worried at first too regarding the resin vs the older steel version, but the resin version seems to be plenty stable. No rocking or vibrations while on the stand. The unit is one of the quietest I have ever heard, but since I also wear hearing protection anyway that didnt make a big difference. Im sure my neighbors and the rest of the house appreciate it though
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I had my Clearvue in a 92" basement shop and had the motor between the joists.You can make a free standing stand using 2x4s and have the cyclone hang on that. Here is the closet I had made in the basement shop for the cyclone to dampen the sound

cyc3.jpgcyc5.jpg

I bought a V3000 in the spring and couldn't be happier. I ran 6" to everything and get great collection. It is indeed quiet. I wear protection, but it is more for the tools than the collector.

I would make my decision on the size of the impeller in the V3000. The CV comes with either a 15 or 16 inch impeller, so what size is the Oneida?

Instead of just the motor HP or impeller size, I'd look at the curve of the two machines and see how many CFM they provide under different SP.
    A typical system running can have SP of around 8-10. See what the CFM of the two machines are in that range:

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/foru...fetch?id=10477

http://www.oneida-air.com/pdf/v-syst...e-2016-web.pdf

I'm glad to see there are some happy v-3000 some owners out there.

I also had not considered building a stand or hanging the clearvue off the ceiling joists. I have pull down attic steps so that might be a pretty good option to carry the motor up the steps and drop it in from the joists above. I still might have issues with the non gable ends though.

I still think the free standing oneida would be easier to deal with when we move in a few years.

The difference in the fan curves makes the CV the clear winner. It's so large it makes me wonder if all conditions were the same.

Those numbers for the static pressure for the CV1800 are very high. The CFM numbers are what one would expect for it. The graphs come from a post on the ClearVue forum and not from ClearVue. When I was looking at buying a cyclone, I was a bit upset that ClearVue did not publish a performance curve.

This is a great opportunity for someone who buys a ClearVue to do the testing and post some actual data and testing conditions. I am certain it would be helpful to be trying to decide which cyclone to purchase.

Blog Entries
    Even using Oneida's system selector tool you only get results for the V series when height restrictions exist. If this is what is pushing you toward the V series I don't think the material is the question.

Short cone systems review poorly but, that is generally when compared to regular systems. We all make concessions based on what we can fit in our shop. My 2HP Griz does fine but, I still wish I had modified the structure a bit and shoe-horned a 3HP into place ;-)

If anyone can optimize a short cone it will probably be Oneida. That being said a 3HP dust gorilla pro is 94" tall and the bracket is low on the body if you wall mount. that may make your "hole in the ceiling" approach doable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Honestly after a lot of time reading Bill Pentz's website and being told to calculate the SP and CFM I find it very concerning that ClearVue refuses to publish a fan curve even though they supposedly have a superior product. I know they have a lot of happy customers- so does Oneida and their curves are prominently displayed for better or for worse.

At this point the only thing I like better about the clearvue is the larger filter area, I believe that would be important. It's also neat that its clear, but that's just silly. Good point Glenn, I'm sure either will be better than my Jet 1100.

Just looked at the Oneida V5000, and it is a few dollars less than the v3000. It did not list the size of the impeller, but moves more air than the v3000. The Clearvue is a 5 hp unit, why are you not looking at the v5000?

Jim,

The V5000 is only less than the V3000 because it is listed without the stand and the drum. It would be more if you added those items in. It is a contender though.

14. Jim,
    What was your final decision on dust collector?
    I am also considering the v3000. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Jerry, I have been using my V3000 for ~5 months and could not be happier with it. I fill up the 35 gal dust bin about every 2-3 weeks if that gives you an idea of the usage. I have not had to empty anything out of the pan underneath the filter, and check it about every other time I empty the drum. In other words, the cyclone pre-filters EXTREMELY well! I found a couple of fluffy hand plane shavings in there but otherwise maybe a cup total of fine dust over the course of 5 months.

Like others have said, it is much quieter than I expected. Mine is installed on the other side of a wall, and the ducting runs through an open window in my shop. I do not feel the need to wear hearing protection, and can easily talk over the cyclone when it is running. Even standing next to it while running is not uncomfortable to my ears, and I always wear hearing protection when running tools even as quiet as my table saw. The air rushing in an open blast gate creates more noise in my shop than the cyclone seems to. When I purchased the cyclone I was nervous about the noise, close neighbors and all, and was planning to add insulation in my shop to help cut it down. That is not needed.... if I turn on the cyclone and walk out of the shop a little bit I cant even hear it running.

I have never used a different style or brand cyclone so I cannot compare it to the others, but I have been extremely impressed with the V3000 and would chose it again in a heartbeat.