Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser indicator light

Laser indicator light

OK all of you electronic geniuses, I have what I think is a simple task but it's beyond my pay grade and I need a bit of help.

I want to have a signal light and/or beeper to indicate when my fiber completes a job. I know where to connect onto the controller card for the fiber to get a signal and I know how to configure the software to send the appropriate signal to the card. What I don't know is how to make the light/beeper part. It doesn't have to be anything fancy looking, it will be hidden in the fiber cabinet. I have available 5vdc, 12vdc, 110vac - so power isn't an issue.

I'm sure if we come up with something that there are plenty of people here who could use it and I'd be willing to put together a group buy for any parts so we could save a bit of $.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated!

Should be pretty straight forward, couple of questions -

What voltage is the signal from the controller card ?
    and is it high or low when it is triggering the beeper ?
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Gary,

If you know signals voltage you can pick up a relay with correct voltage rating and the isolating contact of the relay will energize any light you install.

Do you need a simple schematics to do this?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    Should be pretty straight forward, couple of questions -

What voltage is the signal from the controller card ?
    and is it high or low when it is triggering the beeper ?
    The voltage from the card is 5vdc and can be either high or low, selected in the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Gary,

If you know signals voltage you can pick up a relay with correct voltage rating and the isolating contact of the relay will energize any light you install.

Do you need a simple schematics to do this?
    Is it really that simple? Just a relay? Would that just light up the light? Any way to make it flash?

Probably a stretch, but I wonder if the software could trigger a .wav sound on the computer? For a long time I had train horns tell me when I got email
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Sure,

There are little devices to make Christmas lights flash that you screw in light fixture and they have a 2 prongs to plug in light bulb. This is cheap way around.
    Xenetech 1625 x2,

Does your carriage always go back to Home when its done? A 5 volt Proximity switch to pick up the carriage at Home and an indicator light LED on top of case.. Sure it will be on all the time the carriage is at home, but you start the job and when the LED is on the job is done. My ULS machine beeps when its done.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Does your carriage always go back to Home when its done? A 5 volt Proximity switch to pick up the carriage at Home and an indicator light LED on top of case.. Sure it will be on all the time the carriage is at home, but you start the job and when the LED is on the job is done. My ULS machine beeps when its done.
    It's for my galvo fiber so there's no way to do that, good idea though!

Arduino would work

Explore the world of Arduino for a bit...multiple inexpensive solutions to this problem can be found. I'm not familiar enough to recommend a specific solution...but know that there are least several there. And if you are not familiar with Arduino or Rasberry it would be good to introduce yourselves to that world. Difficult things can be very easy.
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Coffee View Post
    Explore the world of Arduino for a bit...multiple inexpensive solutions to this problem can be found. I'm not familiar enough to recommend a specific solution...but know that there are least several there. And if you are not familiar with Arduino or Rasberry it would be good to introduce yourselves to that world. Difficult things can be very easy.
    It is actually very easy to do with an Arduino. Once sent the 5v "trigger", you can set it up to do practically anything you want. Learning the Arduino (amongt a world of other open-source platforms) is highly recommended.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    It is actually very easy to do with an Arduino. Once sent the 5v "trigger", you can set it up to do practically anything you want. Learning the Arduino (amongt a world of other open-source platforms) is highly recommended.
    Do you have any desire to make something up? Given the time it would take me to research Arduino, buy the parts, program the software and get it setup, I could spend many hours - just to get a blinky light and a buzzer... For someone who already knows this stuff it might be a lot less time and effort, and I'd be willing to pay someone so I don't have to learn it all myself. If you want to email me to discuss further I'd appreciate it! ghair at nwlaserimage dot com

Funny, thought I found an easy solution- In the one set of parameters (button on top), there's an option to have a program start when EZcad starts, and another to have a program start when EZcad ends... It would be easy to have it execute a sound file.... Problem is, it's when the PROGRAM ends, not when the ENGRAVING ends.

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of sound option... Oh well
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Gary,

Just remembered another wat to get this done is using a strobe light. Something like in this site

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...h-5-leds/1861/
    Xenetech 1625 x2,

Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I talked Doug into implementing something using Arduino. It wasn't too hard to twist his arm so I think he actually likes a little challenge like this!