Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser indicator light

I posted this exact same question the other day piggybacking on someone else's thread, following keenly

Gary, I'm looking for something just like this to work with an automated process. Do you happen to remember where to connect into the board?

Thanks!
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

I forget if you can change the duration of the 5v output. If so, there are some simple 5v beepers out there that take next to nothing for current that you could likely wire up directly.

Else, you can also look up "flip-flop" relays or circuits. A pulse will turn the relay on, a second pulse will turn it off. You can hook up a strobe, light, whatever to the relay. Then you can either have a pushbutton to flip it back off or configure another pulse from the program when you start the next job.

Regardless, Arduino will totally work (heck, they're overkill for this as they are really quite capable), but there are also some inexpensive, almost turn key options out there that will work.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

I have a $25 Casio watch with a 'stepped' one-button countdown timer, works in 1, 3, 5, 10, 20 and 30 minute increments, if I want 1 minute, press once, 5 minutes press 3 times, etc. I have one repeat job that takes 5:54 to run- before I change the part out I press 3 times, change, load, start--- when the timer goes off, by the time I get to the machine it's usually just getting done

Speaking of timers, I have a couple of these small digital timers I got at the dollar store, you can set them to the second, and they retain the setting until you specifically reset it.
    timer.jpg

Not perfect solutions but they help!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was just one of the outputs, I'll look when I get in the office today and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    Gary, I'm looking for something just like this to work with an automated process. Do you happen to remember where to connect into the board?

Thanks!

I just saw Kev's post - on Con4 it was either out4 or out5 - but that depends on the exact card you have. Either one will work, you just need to set it up in the software to send the signal to the one you connect to and set whether it sends a high or low signal.

Thanks!

Thanks Gary! Did you end up with the Arduino stuff or some other solution?
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Blog Entries
    Business opportunity! Make up something that works and I'll buy one for a Dolla! or maybe I'd go Two dolla!

Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I ended up having an Arduino solution made for me. I didn't know anything about Arduino at the time and didn't want to learn another programming language so I found someone with the expertise and experience to do it for me. He designed a board, wrote the code and ended up with a really nice product. Unfortunately I got too busy to install it and get it working so it is actually sitting in my home office somewhere among the rest of the Arduino stuff I started on after that. The person is a member here, Doug Griffith, and maybe he could help you to modify what he has done already to meet your needs. I can search for the parts I have at home but it may take me a while as I'm in the middle of finishing a 1,900 sq ft basement and my Arduino stuff is boxed up *somewhere*... If you want to message Doug his post to me is earlier on this thread, and maybe he can help.

Thanks Gary! Did you end up with the Arduino stuff or some other solution?

Thanks Gary for the reply.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop