Thread: Hard Maple Burl Bowls

Hard Maple Burl Bowls

Our saw mill manager had two hard maple burls that grew on adjacent trees on the same stump. They were just fat spots that I wouldn't have considered burl. the bark was tight and in decent shape. The burls were solid. The following are finished bowls from the burls. I only got three bowls, should have had four but one half wasn't too oval shaped to make a bowl. All are finished with danish oil, buffed and waxed. Cracks were filled with epoxy glue and wood from the burls - turning shavings ground up.

I am a amazed how dark the wood is for hard maple.

The first is natural edge - 8" diameter and 2" high (First three pictures). The second bowl is 8" diameter x 1-1/2" high (4th thru 6th picture). The third bowl is 10" diameter x 2-1/2" high.(7th and 8th picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing
    Wow, those are superior!

Stunning bowls, Rich! I agree with you, I am surprised by those deeper color variations in that maple burl. Love 'em!

Very Nice Rich, those were right up in dangerous territory turning them it looks like, but the outcome is really rich 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Great looking bowls!

Beautiful wood and beautiful work Rich. Are those growth rings in the first three photos?

Thank you for the compliments. I was very surprised at how dark the wood is for hard maple.

Leo, I used epoxy glue to fill the cracks. I also like to use the guard until I do the finishing cuts. I think it helps, but I also try to stay out of the line of fire as much as possible, as well as wear a safety shield.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 10-14-2016 at 8:46 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Very Nice Rich! Those turned out Gorgeous! I like the use of epoxy to keep them safe and non-exploding. I have done that many times with Olive wood here that seems to always nave some nasty spots.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Blog Entries
    I agree {verrrrry nice } and yes that is dangerous looking . BUT they came out this time ,sounds like you were as safe as possible .Watch for someone coming by to say hi or wife sneaking up with no helmet.

John - good point about someone coming up to you while you are turning.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich