Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table/Lift vs. Shaper

Router Table/Lift vs. Shaper

The dedicated router in my router table is biting the dust. My router lift is a Router Raizer.

With the for a router + lift hovering over $600, why not buy this shaper?

What don’t I know?

What should I know?

I'm not an expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt. With a router; cheaper bits, better bit selection, more versatility, can be hand held, better speed selection (depending on the router). I've always associated a shaper with a production environment where you may be swinging large bits (panel raising) on a regular basis. Most of those I believe come in a 1" bore which that shaper doesn't have listed. I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will chime in sooner or later... Just my .02 cents...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

The only two things I notice are that it has pretty low HP, so you are going to struggle if you do use larger bits, and if you just use 1/2" router bits, the spindle speed may be too low to use. 10K rpm maximum seems really low for a lot of operations.

Fair question I've often considered myself. One, you of course have to factor in the cost of buying shaper cutters. Two, when I last considered this I had planned on getting the adapter/collar which allows you to use router bits in a shaper. The feedback that I got was that shapers generally have a lower RPM than a router and that the results I would get with such a set-up would be lackluster. I then got addicted to molding planes and havent though about it since

A shaper is more for raising panels and cutting larger profiles, using larger tooling. You can get a router bit adapter for a shaper but the lower spindle speed doesn't work well with most router bits. I have both and use my router table much more than the shaper, its much quicker to setup and change the speed for the bit I'm using. Dont get me wrong a shaper is a very valuable tool in the shop, but if I had to choose one, it would be the router in a table.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I considered a shaper too. The hidden cost is the cutters.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    First of all comparing a router to a shaper is like comparing apples to oranges, universal motor to induction motor. Looking through the Grizzly online catalog I notice they have a huge selection of cutters at a reasonable price. A router spindle installed in a shaper will not give you the RPMS required for smaller router bits, they work best at 20,000 RPM +. I would bet this shaper has no issues performing the work of a router, having said this it can not cut dovetails, v grooves, dadoes ...
    With the motor removed and a big router installed in its base it could be a router table on steroids.
    My 2 cts.

Thanks everyone.

Let me explain the situation with the router maybe you all have some suggestions:

It is a Hitachi M12V. Problem is it won't start up unless you give a light (to lately heavy) tap with a mallet on the housing, but once running usually stays on, although the last time I used it I had problems with it shutting off during use.

I've check the switch and brushes (even replaced them anyway) - no luck.

The bottom bearing definitely was sticky, so I fixed that - no luck.

Now I'm thinking a break in a field wire or the variable speed controller (part is cost prohibitive) but I don't know any way to test it.

It is so erratic and undependable I'm basically forced to buy a new one - unless you guys have some other suggestions. I

BTW this is the most INfrequently used tool in my shop.

Funny thing is, since this has happened, I've done quite a bit of router work with simply a router clamped in the vise and a large base plate and fence.....wondering if I even need it :-)

Think Ive got about $1200 invested in my router table. Porter Cable 7815 router motor, Bench Dog cast iron table, Bench Dog steel stand, Incra lift, Bench Dog fence, Rockler steel dust collection box, various other table & dust collection accessories. Still not even close to the price of any shaper I'd consider. That and cutters for shapers are a lot more money than even the best router bits.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Robert, when you referenced 600$ to replace your current set-up you made mention to the router price and the price of the lift. Why do you need to replace the lift?

Shapers for doors, drawers, windows and architectural work.
    Routers for everything else, tho you wouldn't know it with so many big router bits today.
    It is not a bad idea to keep router bits under 2" in length or diameter for safety & power reasons.
    Moreover, router bits are rated in feet (wear lines show up under 300'), where as shaper cutters are rated on shifts (8-10 hr runs).

I am neither a router table expert or a shaper expert. I have a home made table with a M12V and no lift. I also have a shaper with router collets. I haven't used the router table in years. I run a lot of router bits on the shaper without issue. I had a Grizzly 3hp shaper but hated the fence and now have a Laguna shaper with a fence that I love. I'm not thrilled with the home made fence on my router table. I don't mind below table height adjustment but a good fence is worth it's weight in gold if you ask me. If you like your table and fence I would buy a router that allows for above the table adjustments without a lift. I don't know the models but I know they are out there.

As mentioned, Grizzly has a bunch of shaper cutters as reasonable prices. I also found some Infinity shaper cutters on sale at a reasonable price. Amana, CMT and others make 40 and 50mm insert cutter heads where the insert knives are <$20 a set once you buy the head.

I will say that the shaper is the one tool that makes me take notice when I turn it on. I found a feeder on CL that keeps my fingers away from the blade. A shaper is a slippery slope like a lathe. Smaller pieces I would prefer to do on a router table.

I hope my rambling helped.

Blog Entries
    Having a shaper does not negate the need for a router and router table. However having multiples of both isn't a bad thing.

Shapers are so cheap on the used market there is no reason not to have one, though once you have one you will wish you had a higher hp and heavier model. Then there is the power feeder you will want.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 10-12-2016 at 6:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    Robert, when you referenced 600$ to replace your current set-up you made mention to the router price and the price of the lift. Why do you need to replace the lift?
    The Router Raizer is not very accurate.

If someone gave me that Grizzly shaper, I'd sell it and buy a router. It's not worth $600. Buy a new router.
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 10-12-2016 at 7:30 PM.
    -Lud