Thread: Which Whiteside Compression Flush Trim Router Bit?

Question Which Whiteside Compression Flush Trim Router Bit?

So I'm doing a little back and forth today. I would like to pick up one of Whiteside's fancy compression, bearing flush trim bits and Im going between these two:

Whiteside UDFT5152 (LINK)
    s-l225.jpg

Whiteside UDC9112 (LINK)

whiteside_ultimate_Combination_UDC9112__25089.1401833048.1280.1280.jpg

Which is actually a better route to go?

The first one seems nice because it has a longer cutting length and is skinnier (smaller cutting diameter) to follow tighter curves but only has bearings on one side which since I can put a template onto a work piece on either side shouldn't make that big of a difference.

The second one has a much larger cutting diameter which means it wont fit in as tight of curves but that should mean that itll have that much cleaner of a cut correct? It also has a shorter cutting length and costs more.

What am I missing here to help me make this decision? Thanks!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The larger the bit, the cleaner the cut (less chatter and movement/bounce from the workpiece due to mass) but as you noted, you'll be limited by its size (which is true of all bits, really). Go large or go home.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    As Chris states; I use the largest flush or template bit that the job will allow.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Collar templet routing will present more options, cheaper.
    If tight turns are paramount you can use a collar smaller than the 1/2" SC compression cutter. If big, deep cuts are normal there are collars that will accept cutters >1". Moreover, compression cutters leave a high spot at the transition.
    The WMC large diameter trimmer is truly a work of art, but, x far, you'll have more versatility with a collar & plunger.

With bearings above and below you are limited to workpieces that fit between the bearings. With only one bearing you can do part of a piece with a template, then use the newly cut surface as your template to finish the rest in a second pass. I have one of the two bearing styles you show and ran into this issue in one situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schroeder View Post
    With bearings above and below you are limited to workpieces that fit between the bearings. With only one bearing you can do part of a piece with a template, then use the newly cut surface as your template to finish the rest in a second pass. I have one of the two bearing styles you show and ran into this issue in one situation.
    Good point. So perhaps I should be instead be looking at one of their single bearing options for the Ultimate bit:

Whiteside Ultimate Flush Trim Bit UDFT9112 (LINK)
    154275.jpg

Whiteside Ultimate Pattern Bit UDP9112 (LINK)
    417VcMfu0pL._SY355_.jpg

Which would be better for use in a router table? Having the bearing on the top so that once the work piece is flipped over the bearing could reference off the already trimmed part? So the flush trim bit? But if youre going to be flipping it anyway Im not seeing how having a bearing on both top and bottom would make a difference.

What to do what to do...

whiteside-ultimate-trimd.jpg
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 10-11-2016 at 1:49 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I'm not sure flipping with one bit is going to work. My goal was to rout the shape on 1.5" thick curved legs for a kitchen table. I made a 3/8" plywood template (it's what I had available, and thinner wasn't going to let me do it in one pass anyway), used the pattern bit in a hand held router with the router on top of the template, and then removed the template to finish the job. I had the two bearing style that I used for other projects, but bought the pattern bit when I needed it for this. I have used them both on other projects since. They are great bits. I always make sure to cut really close to my final line so the bit isn't working too hard; control in the hand held router has never been an issue.

Have the same question as Ben posted, and came across this thread. A comment and a question. First, it appears from the photo in the Whiteside catalog that the lower bearing on the two bearing bit is held on with a stop collar and is removable. If that is the case, then you are not limited by the space between the two bearings. Second, I have not been able to find any info about compression bits leaving a ridge at the transition point. Can anyone who has used the Whiteside Utimate Trim Bit let us know if it leaves a ridge? If so, how significant is it?

Thanks,

Len

Forgot to update this thread. FWIW I ended up getting the dual bearing UDC9112, but sadly haven't had a chance to use it yet. Was really busy through the holidays and just haven't had a need to use a flush trim bit since. Hopefully I get to it soon.

Thanks Ben. I'm going to buy the same bit and see how it goes.

Len

Looking forward to an update as I recently had similar questions and stumbled on this thread. My favorite bits have been from WMC.
    Dick Mahany.

Hey a years or so ago I was in the same place as you, and I made the same decision. I opted for the dual bearing model. They are quite pricey (although well worth it) so I could only get one and I figured that a pretty large percentage of the items I would use it on would fit between the bearings. I figured I can always get one or both of the others should the need arise. And by the way... This thing ROCKS! Seriously, it cuts like crazy and yet leaves an extremely smooth edge and virtually zero tearout on the edges. I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Thanks for the info, Stew. Did you experience the bit leaving a high spot or ridge at the transition from up cut to down cut?

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks for the info, Stew. Did you experience the bit leaving a high spot or ridge at the transition from up cut to down cut?

Len
    Not at all Len. The edges it leaves have all been very smooth, with no ridges or bumps. I recommend these to everyone.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty