Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting into RVing???

Blog Entries

Question Getting into RVing???

I will be retiring in January and we have decided to get a motorhome and take a tour of the good Ol' USA via all the major league baseball parks. We decided to get a motorhome mainly due to wanting to use the coach while moving down the road. There are other reasons, but that is the main one. At this point I am planning on selling it after the tour, but if we learn that we really like RVing, we may keep it. I know absolutely nothing about RVing and any advice from the more experienced RVers would be greatly appreciated. I do have a book on order that I think will help, but I will be needing more help to get up to speed on the subject.
    My first task will be to pick out the perfect coach. The Thor Axis 25.2 seems to push all our buttons. https://thormotorcoach.com/axis/

So my first question for you RV veterans is: What is your impression of Thor motorhomes in general? How does it compare to the other manufactures, like Winnebago, Forest River, etc.. Are they the Harbor Freight of the industry? or are they more like Festool? Somewhere in between? Also, if anyone actually owns one, I would be very interested in hearing from you. We are going to look at one this weekend, probably won't pull the trigger just yet. I want to wait till after Jan to purchase as I will be paying cash and will take a bigger tax hit if I do it this year.

I will be having lots more questions, but let's start with this one.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'll just comment that around here, there are a lot of used low-mileage RV's for sale and at significantly discounted prices. A lot of people buy a new RV and then find out that it's not what they want to do and then try to sell their RV.

If you're not sure, buy used so you don't suffer that big discount. Or better yet, rent an RV and use it for your first couple of trips. If you find you really like the life, then buy.

Mike

[And run the numbers. The fuel cost is very high (very low MPG) and you often need a vehicle to get around town once you park - you can tow or rent. By the time you figure all the costs - buying, fuel, storage, maintenance, car rental, etc. - you find that you can stay in the best hotel in town, where someone else cleans, makes up your bed and cooks your meals - and you actually spend less money. Most people do RV'ing because they love it, and not because it saves money.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-11-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Look for a user forum for your RV. There is a large forum for Jayco owners that has lots of good information.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-11-2016 at 1:08 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Larry, you didn't say how long you expect your road trip to take. I know there are places that rent RVs and that may be something to consider as a way to get your feet wet and find out what actually will work for you.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

"Or better yet, rent an RV and use it for your first couple of trips"

I would go that route. Rent one for a short trip first. My inlaws dreamed of RVing, had catalogs everywhere, planned for years to get one, finally retired and bought one and only took one long trip, and a couple short trips, then sold it for a huge loss. They said it wasnt as fun as they thought and with the gas cost they could just stay in hotels. That said, I know of some who love it and live on the road. I would just stick one toe in the water at first.

Blog Entries
    I would look for at least a 3 season RV. 4 season better yet.

Blog Entries
    Everyone, I did not mean to leave the impression that we were undecided about buying an RV. We have kicked around this idea for many years, and have discussed it for hours and hours on several occasions. We have thought about renting one to see if we like it, we have researched and do know that doing the RV thing is without a doubt more expensive than driving the car and staying in hotels etc, etc... We have FINALLY decided to pull the trigger. At this point renting a one just seems like a waste of money, if we have already decided to get one. Our closest friends are really into the RV culture and they have influenced our decision. My son on the other hand thinks we are crazy for doing this.

We have looked into used and what I have found is that the "new" used motorhome don't lose that much value in the first year or so. For instance, in the one we are looking at, I can get a 2015 model for about 5-8 thousand less than a new one, but it has less features than the newest models and the warranty is expired.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Larry, you didn't say how long you expect your road trip to take. I know there are places that rent RVs and that may be something to consider as a way to get your feet wet and find out what actually will work for you.
    Steve, there are 30 major league ball parks, we do not plan to visit the all in one trip. It may take us a couple of seasons to visit them all. We have considered renting, it looks like that costs about $2000 a week plus mileage. Since we have pretty much already made up our minds about this, that is what seems like a waste of money to me.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good RV forum to join? I have found rv.net and rvforum.net. Are there others that you would recommend?
    Larry J Browning

Larry,

I understand you made your decision. I would look down where the Sunbirds land and find one with low mileage and a few years old. The difference should be far greater than 8K for that. I have friends who just purchased a new one and then found a used one the liked better with about 20K miles for tens of thousands less. Good luck with your retirement.

Blog Entries
    Part of my problem with getting a used one is that my wife and I have several items on the must have and nice to have check list, and we each have our own lists. We have only found the one MH the seems to check all of her boxes and all of mine. Anything else is a compromise. It is not too often this happens to us. So at this point we are pretty focused on this one. Like I said I can find a used one for only about 5-8 grand less. That does not seem to me enough of a savings to risk on a used one that is either out of warranty or almost out of warranty. If I go down a few more years like maybe a 2012 model I can find them at substantial savings, but I am very skeptical of those because they are really out of warranty and most everything is worn out on them, no telling what I would get. My original plan was to definitely get a used model, but I am now leaning toward new.

Plus, looking back at my original question, it has to do with the quality reputation of the manufacturer and unless I can find something about them or the particular model I have picked out, or I can actually find a 2016 model for 20 grand less than new, I will stick with the new one.
    Oh, yeah, one other thing, I have the money (within limits) to do this and I do not want to compromise. My tune may be different in a few years.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-11-2016 at 2:08 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Check the California market. You may find a used one that will come close to meeting your needs for a significant discount. If you buy it, you can drive it home and make it into a vacation.

I think several posters have said the same thing, RV's are often regretted purchases.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think several posters have said the same thing, RV's are often regretted purchases.
    Mike
    LOL, Well we still have 3 more months to be talked out of it! My son thinks we have lost our minds to even consider it. I have been shopping around online, and who knows what will be available in January. As a matter of fact, I did find a new 2016 model of the one we are looking at for almost 10 grand less than the 2017 model in Mississippi. I'm pretty sure that wasn't there last week. So who knows?
    Larry J Browning

Larry, We watch Going RV on the GAC channel (and there may be others) that show the typical "we'll look at 3 and pick 1" formula. My wife and I are also looking at the possibility of the RV lifestyle in a few years as we approach retirement age. We've been finding some useful info as we contemplate jumping from a lifetime of pop-up camping to the big rigs.

For pricing, the dealers may be able to get you one that is a model year older but still brand new. My friend bought a Class A that way and it was $60K cheaper and got below $200K. The manufacturer determines the price, not the dealer I'm told.

I don't know how the brand rates that you're looking at but after you look at enough, you'll get a feel for the construction, design etc that just comes with the hand's on of looking.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Do you plan on towing a vehicle with the RV. Most RV people I know do.... park the RV then use the car to explore.