Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

10 Oct 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    Sorry I'm a bit late but I've been working some crazy long hours at the day job as well as out in the shop trying to get things done for the bowling alley. I finally figured out that I'm not as young as I used to be and working 20 hour days gets to be a lot faster than they used to.

Delivered the phase 3 stuff to the bowling alley on Thursday to find that once they removed the old flooring and wall, that my cabinets were too tall by about 1". It's not a big deal as I built them to be taken apart and moved if/when necessary based on the requirements of the owner. So this should be a fix that simply requires careful measuring, cutting, and putting back together. I should get that resolved today and get most all the bowling alley stuff finished out this week. I'm ready for it to be done.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I finished my assembly table. The top is a piece of Quartz I got off CL.

Cleaned the shop!
    It's probably been about 10 years since I really went through the place.
    I found a router I forgot I had, and it still had a 1/2" round over bit in it!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Spent the weekend recovering from a cold.

Feeling better today so it to the shop!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Looked at my router table and realized it was asking for a drawer. Had some baltic birch ply and some pine plywood left over along with slides that were unlikely to be used for any other project. Stiffened up the router stand and helped organize the various finger clamps, wrenches and other router specific stuff.

Added a shelf on a window near my workbench which turns out to be a great place to hold spring clamps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Uninstalled a mini-split from my current garage, and started packing for our return to the USA after a 15 year stint in the Middle East. 3 more weeks and I'll be retiring and hopefully breaking ground on the new shop (assuming the final easement release comes through, which has taken ~5 months already). Yippee, Yahooee, and all that.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    3 more weeks and I'll be retiring
    Congratulations Mark ... and keep us posted on the new shop design and progress.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

THat's great news, Mark! 'Hope the move goes smoothly and that you can get settled in as "retired" with little difficulty.

As to my weekend...more of the same, working on the bath renovation. All carpentry is completed and the shower stall is fully installed except for the left panel that will get completed once my plumber takes care of business for me. I chose to have him do the work because of it going to be buried in a wall and I have some other things I need him for anyway. That's planned for this coming Friday. I also got the wallpaper backing off the wall on Sunday. It came off easier than I expected and I "only" have to scrub off the remaining glue with the "gel goo" to fully complete the wallpaper removal task and take care of some minor wall repairs. The green board will go up this coming weekend and I'll also be working on the new vanity top and sink install. Hopefully only a couple more weekends will go by until this job is finished and I can get back to projects in the shop. And once again...yes, that shower is level. It's the floor that's a bit, um...off....

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... I also got the wallpaper backing off the wall on Sunday. It came off easier than I expected and I "only" have to scrub off the remaining glue with the "gel goo" to fully complete the wallpaper removal task and take care of some minor wall repairs. ...
    I quit installing wallpaper after having to remove it a few times. Glad yours came off easier. I've thought a few times it would have been easier to pull down the drywall and start from the studs, particularly if the paper was installed on unprimed sheetrock. In our last home some lazy person painted over the wallpaper. I left it that way when I sold the house.

Thanks Jim and Bill for the congratulations. The concept of retiring feels good. The concept of no more income is somewhat scary.
    Mark McFarlane

I have finally completed the trim and joinery downstairs in the house in Adelaide. Well, I thought I had until I noticed that one door frame that the bricklayers installed has moved about 10mm out at the top. Turns out they "fixed" the frame in place with light weight sheet metal brackets that won't support the weight of a 60kg door. I have to build a new door frame since I have to destroy the old one to get all of it out. Yet another example of the fine workmanship on the early stages of construction before I was brought in to fix/finish the job. I was not planning to be working away from home for 2 1/2 years (and counting). Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Paint Paint and more Paint - I have about 300 sheets left to paint out of 1250.

Congrats again Matt.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi, I painted the main floor hallway and had friends, inlaws and outlaws over for Thanksgiving turkey..........The weather was nice, had a great time..........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Finally finished a roll around shop table. Today I will start putting a finish on the table top. 30" x 60". I plan to use it mostly for a dovetail machine and mortise machine. They can be put on the lower shelf when I need the top to do glue ups or hand planing or what ever.