Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss Laser

Boss Laser

Currently I am looking at the Boss Laser LS-3655 but I am debating on whether or not I should look at other options. My needs are 100W, around 36 x 48 engraving area, filtration system, water chiller and on site warranty/set up. How good is Boss' tech support and where are their parts manufactured from. I am requesting a laser cutter for a high school robotics team and would like a laser cutter that suits our needs.

What is your budget? Did you look at Rabbit USA, Epilog, Universal, etc.?
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    What is your budget? Did you look at Rabbit USA, Epilog, Universal, etc.?
    We don't want to go over $20,000. We looked at epilog and FSL. We were looking at Rabbit USA but not much info was giving on their website about support. Minimum needs to be 100W

Quote Originally Posted by Ishabul Haque View Post
    Currently I am looking at the Boss Laser LS-3655 but I am debating on whether or not I should look at other options. My needs are 100W, around 36 x 48 engraving area, filtration system, water chiller and on site warranty/set up. How good is Boss' tech support and where are their parts manufactured from. I am requesting a laser cutter for a high school robotics team and would like a laser cutter that suits our needs.
    Boss support is good. Usually able to work through problems and training with you same day. Friendly/knowledgeable.

As far as on site training, you'd need to talk about options for that, travel usually isn't free.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Rabbit Laser has good support,great machines, and will come setup on site if your USA based, they have a warehouse in Ohio with most all spare parts in stock. Stay away from FSL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Are you located in the US? If so then based on Bert and others with Rabbit's, that's who I'd recommend. Prices are a bit higher but the machines and service are top of their class.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes, Rabbit Laser!
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

I would be curious if Boss will set up and tutor you on your laser like Rabbit will. That alone is worth a grand, in my opinion. There is no way I would self learn the basics from manuals and Youtube videos as fast as I learned when Ray personally showed me on my laser that he actually set up - from installing all mirrors and lenses to showing me the efficient way to align the mirrors. Running me through several sample cuts and engravings took maybe a half hour. I only had to call rabbit once since taking ownership about why the file didn't download into the machine (Lasercut needed to be closed, then re-opened), and they walked me though the steps over the phone.

Then aligning my bed into perfect square was a little technical, but realized how, and Carol at Rabbit confirmed my method. She even told me that they always align the lasers into square prior to shipping. That alone is why buying from Rabbit is better than ordering direct from china, or off ebay, or from a company that never uncrates the lasers and simply resells.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Rabbit Laser has good support,great machines, and will come setup on site if your USA based, they have a warehouse in Ohio with most all spare parts in stock. Stay away from FSL
    We are in the US, NY to be exact. About FSL, I have seen mixed reviews from it, but also most saying that their support is helpful. From what I see we get more out of our money when getting FSL compared to others. Can you shed some light as to why to avoid FSL?

We have a Boss LS-1630 100W at our shop, and we've been very happy with it. I only had occasion to contact support once, but the person who helped me, Ashley, was great! She offered to Skype with me until the problem was resolved, though everything was resolved before that was needed.

several reasons one is lousy support, th machines are cheaply built Chinese, the tube is in the engraving area and not well protected. the table is not moveable, so your limited to about 3 inches in height,..or you have to remove the bottom of thr machine and block it up on something to get thicker material in. real PITA.
    remember you get what you pay for.also they arn't the power they say they are their 40 watt machines are really 30 give or take and the same with their bigger machines. email them and ask the length of there tubes and if they tell you I'll be amazed most the time they say they dont know LOL and if they say what it is check rabbits website to see how long its suppose to be. I had an FSL had all kinds of problems and sold it cheap just to get rid of it and spent the extra for a decent machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishabul Haque View Post
    We are in the US, NY to be exact. About FSL, I have seen mixed reviews from it, but also most saying that their support is helpful. From what I see we get more out of our money when getting FSL compared to others. Can you shed some light as to why to avoid FSL?
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 10-11-2016 at 5:07 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Warranty

what about after the boss warranty, after that are we supposed to fend for ourselves and fix all our problems without any assitance?

Look at it this way: when your car is out of warrantee, and the heater starts spraying engine coolant all over your windshield, is someone at the dealership or factory going to explain to you over a phone call the procedure to fix the problem? No... your only options are to either pay a mechanic to fix it, or attempt to repair it yourself.

So yes, we are supposed to fend for ourselves after the warrantee is up.

Fortunately, that's what WE'RE here for, to help out any way we can!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yep, or if I remember correctly, Boss offers an extended warranty if you want to pay $$$.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

We took delivery of a Boss 2436 100 watt machine June 30th. My partner and I had no experience with lasers, but I do have a commercial embroidery machine, for which there is no customer support locally. That being said, I was used to having to fend for myself as far as problem solving. Our machine arrived well crated and in good shape. After setting it up, we attempted to run some simple jobs, only to realize that it wouldn't cut 1/8 acrylic, regardless how hot or slow we ran it. We studied up on aiming the mirrors, and after some trial and error, we got it aimed. Im sure it was set up properly prior to shipping, but the trip across country must have not been smooth. We have had no problems with the machine since we got it set up, and we have been running it much more than we initially expected to. We are pleased with our purchase.
    Boss Laser 2436, 100 watt
    Toyota ESP 9000 embroidery machine