Thread: Stripping siekens cetol marine varnish

Stripping siekens cetol marine varnish

Hello, boatbuilders ... I am a General Woodworking person.
    Thinking that I was applying the ultimate finish ... I applied Siekens Cetol Marine varnish to a door.
    Eventually, I found out ... the hard way ... that it does not have a mildewcide.
    I have accepted that I need to strip-off and re-finish ... and I need some advice regarding a effective stripper to use.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sam, how long has the Cetol been on the door? The Cetol range of products have to be re-coated every year so if it is about that length of time, you have to apply a maintenance coat anyway and this should restore the appearance. It looks better for a lot longer the second and subsequent years in service. The good thing about is is that it is not a film finish so it doesn't crack or blister.

Since it is not a film finish, stripping is not a good idea and not required. After 12 months you can basically ignore it. Sand it back so that you have an even colour to the timber and coat it with your product of choice if that's the way you want to go. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Thank you, Wayne ... the outcome is ... using a heat gun.
    The door was coated 12 years-ago. It started showing signs of mildew after being 'up' for about 18 months. The lol would 'periodically' clean-it-off and the door would, again, look just-fine. For whatever reasons, it hadn't been attended-to in quite some time ... and it caught my attention. I mixed 1 / 4 ratio of bleach and water, and proceeded to clean. The 'surface' mildew cleaned-off easily. I was very surprised to find that the Cetol had also absorbed the mildew in some areas. No amount of rubbing with any kind of semi-gritted material would remove it ... and it became apparent that only a 'stripping' would correct the condition. I read thru several searches that described the error-of-my ways ... not maintaining as you described ... and that removal with a heat gun was the most expedient way to go. The door weighs near to 100 pounds, and at 78, I don't handle that as easy as I used to. I built a wheeled cradle so the stripping ... as-well-as the painting ... can be done done outside. I started the stripping last evening, and in about 40 minutes have about 50% cleaned-off ... I had to quit due to darkness. There is some 'residue' left. I tried scraping a small area, and it seems that between scraping and sanding, that it should clean-up quite well. I'll be re-coating with General Finishes Exterior 450 as recommended by several members on the Finishing Forum.