Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Grizzly G0563 Oscillating Edge Sander Table To Platen Not Square Issue

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Ben, I have a similar edge sander (different brand), it also had a small twist in the platen and in the table. I did exactly what Jim suggested to the platen and to remove the twist from the table I shimmed one edge up with a few strips of thin paper and then retightened the bolts. You want to check the sander table against another known to be flat surface like a table saw top or jointer table before you attempt to straighten the platen. I didn't have to deal with a dip in the table though. Both errors combined resulted in a 1/8" - 3/16" gap on the idler side of the machine and now it's dead on perfect.
    These machines come all out of the same 'hatchery' in South East Asia where QC is not necessarily part of the vocabulary, in other words we get what we pay for.
    Edit: I should have used winding sticks to check for twist, could have saved me a lot of time trying .
    Last edited by John Lankers; 11-02-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am sorry this has drug on for so long. It is these occasional stories that make some folks knee-jerk Grizzly haters. If its any consolation I have had similar issues with Jet, Delta and Powermatic. Maybe I should have coughed up the $2300 for a Vega ;-) Although the Grizzly is bargain priced, it is not a bargain if it does not function correctly.

I'm sure a lot of shops that just use a tool of this type to edge sand doors would use that machine without issue. I need my machine to be reasonably true and with a bit of futzing my little Jet is fine. The accuracy is not in the thousandths but, the grit variation on the abrasives is greater than that. It is tuned up to where I can sand small box sides while referencing off the base or top lip and not foul up a good square side.

Hold them to it. Grizzly machines will last you for a long time so you want them to make good. If you are not happy with the machine you will grouse every time you use it. I prefer to walk up to my machines and smile. Several are Grizzlys.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am sorry this has drug on for so long. It is these occasional stories that make some folks knee-jerk Grizzly haters. If its any consolation I have had similar issues with Jet, Delta and Powermatic. Maybe I should have coughed up the $2300 for a Vega ;-) Although the Grizzly is bargain priced, it is not a bargain if it does not function correctly.
    I have read a few times the suggestion of a Vega and after doing some research around the net, over the last few years it seems like its the same group of people recommending them. When looked up the sander I have to admit there doesnt seem to be much to it and even the Grizzly I bought looks like a much more robust machine. Just to be sure, those that recommend these Vegas, THIS is the one you're talking about correct? Am I mistaken or is that not a cast iron table? And I really dont like that design of adjusting the angle of a table where two hinges are tightened on either side. There is no andle gauge and no easy way to ensure both sides are set the same.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I have read a few times the suggestion of a Vega and after doing some research around the net, over the last few years it seems like its the same group of people recommending them. When looked up the sander I have to admit there doesnt seem to be much to it and even the Grizzly I bought looks like a much more robust machine. Just to be sure, those that recommend these Vegas, THIS is the one you're talking about correct? Am I mistaken or is that not a cast iron table? And I really dont like that design of adjusting the angle of a table where two hinges are tightened on either side. There is no andle gauge and no easy way to ensure both sides are set the same.
    That is the Vega everyone talks about. No the tables aren't cast iron but neither are ones on some of the old mid level commercial machines. Trust me there is no comparison between the Vega and anything else available new for under 3-4K. That said if someone has the room an old Ekstrom Carlson, Wysong Miles or Central Machinery (not Harbor Freight) is an even better choice.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    There is no andle gauge and no easy way to ensure both sides are set the same.
    True. The Vega stuff is somewhat like the Kalamazoo stuff when it comes to sanders. Fairly task specific. They are "industrial" machines that lack the bells and whistles that one would possibly want in a home shop. They are attractive to me in that they are not really high priced for the beefy build that you get.

But, I am a one-man home shop kinda guy and went with the little Jet machine which does OK (and I got a great price on it). Between it and the Griz I really wish I would've spent a little over double to-my-door. The table design on the Jet is quite poor and it is a lightweight machine. But, like I said, it does OK; I doubt I will replace it unless a really good deal comes along.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Takin' their time on this one. Been over a week now and I still haven't heard back from them after sending them the images of the new table and it being not flat. They did confirm that they got the images the following day though. We'll see how it goes... Ill post back when something happens.

Just an update, still havent heard anything from them and its been over two weeks now. Going to try and send someone an email now.

Well the saga continues. Grizzly contacted me again finally after a 2.5 week pause and told me they are 8 weeks out on replacement parts, best case scenario. They also gave me the option to replace the sander but they said they wont have any in stock until mid January (again 8 weeks) best case. Then they said I could also return the sander for a refund. But with the latter two options they said I would have to get it back on a pallet and crate it up just as I had received it and have it ready for a shipping company to pick up. Well of course after over a month of dealing with this I dont have the pallets and crating material it came with anymore. Why would I keep that?!

Then the CSR proceeds to try and convince me this "squareness" issue wasnt something I should be concerned with as squaring up the edge of a board is not a job for an edge sander and that I should be using a jointer for that. I explained to him that first of all that wont help on plywood and second this all began when I called to ASK it the platen being out of square from the table was an issue and THEY said it definitely shouldn't be that way and THEY started wanting to send me replacement parts to try and fix the problem. And now they're backtracking and saying it isn't an issue and I should what? just deal with it? Then he tells me most edge sanders come out of square and usually require some tweaking. I had to stop him there before I got annoyed and lost control and told him I'd sleep on it and get back to them as to what I'd like to do.

Under any other circumstances I would figure out a way to return this unit for either a refund or exchange, but the wait is an issue for an exchange and the fact that I got free shipping on a promo deal was another as I probably wont get that again if I return it and repurchase another when they come back in stock. The other issue I have with returning/exchanging it is that it's very difficult for me to get any help from other people to lift a tool like this and I had to "hire" a couple guys to help me get it off the pallet and into place already. I'd have to pay people again to get it back onto another pallet that I don't know where I'm going to get just to get it ready to ship back.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do... Very frustrating.

I once bought a sander (different kind) from a company (not Grizzly, but a "sibling" sort of) and upon using it for the first time I realized I can't live with it. I returned the machine and never bought from them again. If I were you I'd return it (shouldn't be hard to find/make a pallet/crate).
    If you want to give them another shot you can wait for a replacement to come and then return this one on the pallet of that machine (perhaps have a CC # as hold).

Sorry for the continued issue.

As an aside I NOW keep all a machines crating material until I know I am happy with the machine, I learned the hard way. The again I am the guy that keeps laptop boxes until the warranty expires... I did use one once.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Sorry to hear of your troubles....really tough when you are excited about a new machine.

Van Huskey has good advice. Unpack a new machine carefully and save packing. It seems to be more important with some brands than others. Also, take pictures before unpacking and document any issues.

Hope you get this resolved.

Oh man, regarding the packaging, I am extremely anal about saving all my boxes to pretty much everything I buy as I usually end up reselling and upgrading almost everything. Im into a lot of hobbies and it adds up. So normally having the original packaging saved wouldnt be a problem, but keeping around something as large as the pallets and crating material is a bit trickier for me. Ill figure something out to get it re-crated if I have to, but right now Im kinda leaning towards just having them send me a new one when they have more in stock and reusing the shipping material the new comes with to package up the old one. The one I got based on the serial number was actually made in the middle of 2015, so it had been sitting somewhere for a while. Id be interested to see what would come that was brand new, made in 2017.

I think there are plenty of those machines in the wild and plenty of people happy with them, so if you want that machine I say wait on a "new" one. We have all had one of those "Friday afternoon" machines that tried to make us tear our hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I think there are plenty of those machines in the wild and plenty of people happy with them, so if you want that machine I say wait on a "new" one. We have all had one of those "Friday afternoon" machines that tried to make us tear our hair out.
    Well, it always sounds believable when people say that, and true its an angle worth considering, but when I purchase a tool that is brand new from a company like Grizzly who houses most of their stock in the same warehouse (as I understand it) and when I get it I find that it was manufactured a year and a half ago, I start to wonder if this machine sat around for so long how many do they really move?! That and there is very little about them around the net. So those two thoughts make me lean towards they dont sell too many of these. But we will never know that for sure.

Another quick update. I finally go back in touch with the original gentleman I was working with and what a difference it can make depending on who you talk to. This guy's name is Robert and he has been very helpful.

However there is not really anyway for him or anyone else to sugarcoat the situation. They simply dont have any machine nor parts to replace my unit with. Ill have to wait until more come in stock some time in January. He is going to try and get management approval to ship me the replacement first and then I re-use that crating material to ship the old one back once they are back in stock. Otherwise we discussed me buying another one first and then after it arrives using re-using the shipping material to send the old one back and they give me a full refund (shipping included) for the replacement one.

We also discussed me renting an engine hoist to get these moved around easier. I like the idea better than trying to find people to help me, just have to find a place that rents them, burrow a truck and then get some help getting in on and off the truck a couple times.

So we'll see how this continues in over a month. Ill be sure to post back.