Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Grizzly G0563 Oscillating Edge Sander Table To Platen Not Square Issue

Ben, I absolutely agree with you. If I bought my sander new from Grizzly they would be taking care of the problem. I posted my story for several reasons. This problem is starting to appear like a common one with this sander. Other folks with this model that haven't checked it for square, should. Folks considering purchase of this sander now know that this squareness issue may be a problem they will have to deal with.

And I was merely pointing out a possible solution for those in my situation (used and/or past the warranty period) who have this sander with a squareness issue. Another possible solution is to have the platen surface ground. But that would likely require purchasing a new graphite strip since the original would have to be removed for grinding.

Lastly, if Grizzly monitors this forum and sees a probable systemic problem in the manufacturing of this machine they may look into and change their process in making the platen.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Ben, I absolutely agree with you. If I bought my sander new from Grizzly they would be taking care of the problem. I posted my story for several reasons. This problem is starting to appear like a common one with this sander. Other folks with this model that haven't checked it for square, should. Folks considering purchase of this sander now know that this squareness issue may be a problem they will have to deal with.

And I was merely pointing out a possible solution for those in my situation (used and/or past the warranty period) who have this sander with a squareness issue. Another possible solution is to have the platen surface ground. But that would likely require purchasing a new graphite strip since the original would have to be removed for grinding.

Lastly, if Grizzly monitors this forum and sees a probable systemic problem in the manufacturing of this machine they may look into and change their process in making the platen.
    Oh I'm with ya, believe me. That is the other reason I created the thread, so others will know in the future that these problems can and do exist and they process by which they either do or do not get taken care of. Ill continue posting as I go through the process.

Latest update:

Grizzly contacted me yesterday (Friday) and wanted more images. They are trying to determine if its the platen or table that is out of whack. I thought the "measurements" I had already taken were enough to show that its the platen, but the tech I was working with and I came with a few more shots and "measurements" I could take to confirm that. It is definitely the platen. It is bowed in the middle as well as slightly bent in the lower right corner where Im seeing the deflection from the right side of the table. Im going to send the latest images off to them and we'll see what they come back with.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Glad things are moving along. I do get their desire to be sure about the table not contributing. I've read too many posts about folks who get themselves in trouble trying to fix their dovetail-way jointer tables when the fence was actually the culprit/ Talk about making a small problem big by starting at the wrong end ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

And just for kicks:

Here is a shot of the amount the table to plate is out of square (approximately 7/64")"

File Oct 08, 4 27 36 AM.jpeg

And here is a shot of how "unflat" the table is using a 24" Starrett straight edge and Starrett feeler gauge:

File Oct 08, 5 18 11 AM.jpeg

This that pretty much confirms it is definitely the platen.

Bought my G0564 sander slightly used, so could not expect Grizzly to fix it, so I removed the platen today to attempt to straighten it. Was fairly easy to disassemble, used a chair to support the motor assembly so I did not have to remove the wire, and laid the platen face down across my work bench. Used a bar clamp to hold it down, and another to clamp a 4' 2x4 across the opposite end. Had to bend it back a little as I went too far the first time, but it is straight now. Got the platen back on, and the motor assembly back on, but have to finish it later. Much easier to bend than you might imagine. Do NOT put all your strength into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Bought my G0564 sander slightly used, so could not expect Grizzly to fix it, so I removed the platen today to attempt to straighten it. Was fairly easy to disassemble, used a chair to support the motor assembly so I did not have to remove the wire, and laid the platen face down across my work bench. Used a bar clamp to hold it down, and another to clamp a 4' 2x4 across the opposite end. Had to bend it back a little as I went too far the first time, but it is straight now. Got the platen back on, and the motor assembly back on, but have to finish it later. Much easier to bend than you might imagine. Do NOT put all your strength into it.
    Good to know. Never know, I may have to get it done myself. Havent heard back from Grizzly, but Im pretty sure they are going to send me a new platen. We'll see I guess. Thanks for the info though, good to hear from another thats its a pretty doable task.

Just an update, after looking at the latest images I sent them showing the table to be out about 12 thousandths from perfectly flat they think the out of square might be due to the table. I don't think the table being .012 inches from flat would equate to the 7/64" gap I'm seeing when squaring it to the platen, but I guess we'll start with replacing the table since its easier and cheaper for them. They did say the table wasn't right either, so either way that needed to be replaced too. So right now in my mind its looking like my machine had a not flat table AND platen.

They said they're going to have their shop check and make sure the new table is good and flat before sending it out and then they'll get it in the mail ASAP. Ill update after I get it and install it.

Ben,

No company or person is perfect, but they certainly respond positively when customers query them or encounter a problem. Glad it's ending well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Ben,

No company or person is perfect, but they certainly respond positively when customers query them or encounter a problem. Glad it's ending well for you.
    Agreed. So far they do seem to be taking care of me, so I cant complain about the service I guess. I just hope I dont have to dang near rebuild this machine just to get it the way it should have come ya know?

Blog Entries
    Good to hear.

Well, I received the new table and got it installed this weekend only to find that the new table they supposedly had checked for flatness before it left the warehouse was dipped in the middle 9-10 thousandths of an inch. It also wasnt shipped with any protective coating on the top so there was sections with light surface rust on it that took me about an hour to remove and clean up. The fit and finish of the replacement table wasnt as nice as the one that came with the sander either. Different grinding on the edge and slightly different looking finish on the top. And of course the right side of the table and platen are still not square but now the middle is also not square due to the replacement table being dipped slightly in the middle.

File Oct 29, 5 43 37 PM.jpegFile Oct 29, 5 43 50 PM.jpeg

Sent them the images and details and am now awaiting response. At this point Im guessing theyll have to send me a new platen now, however even if that is perfectly straight the dip in the middle of the table will still cause the middle section to be out of square. So that still wont fix the overall problem. Seems like its going to have to be another new table and a new platen.

I would say it is probably not your table then and put the old one back on. Wait for Grizzly to send you a new platen

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would say it is probably not your table then and put the old one back on. Wait for Grizzly to send you a new platen
    Only problem with that is that the old table wasnt flat either. Between the two its either a dip in the middle of 9 thou or a dip on the right side of 12 thou.

After having taken my sander apart to straighten the platen, think you could probably just clamp a 2x4 either to the back side or the front side, depending on which way it needs to go, on the idler end of the sander, and just put some pressure on the 2x4 to straighten the platen, without even removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    After having taken my sander apart to straighten the platen, think you could probably just clamp a 2x4 either to the back side or the front side, depending on which way it needs to go, on the idler end of the sander, and just put some pressure on the 2x4 to straighten the platen, without even removing it.
    And then if I did that and was able to get the platen perfect, would I then just live with one of the non-flat tables?