Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Brand New Grizzly G0563 Oscillating Edge Sander Table To Platen Not Square Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Molaver View Post
    @Ben - was wondering if there was an update here - how did you make out getting the replacement G0563?

Am looking at the G0564...
    Crap, just realized I never updated how this situation turned out.

Well they did send another. It got to be with a broken pallet and was tilted over inside the crate and scratched up a bit and had a tiny dent on it. So I ended up swapping the tops (motor, sander, platen, table, etc). Worked out okay since I didn't have remove the base of the first one from the mobile base and the top alone was easier to lift than the whole unit. The replacement upper was indeed much closer to square. Wasn't perfect in one upper corner, but it was close enough. Oscillation was a little low and it looked like the paper was going to work its way off the rollers but that was adjustable to fix. Other than that, I haven't used it much, but it seems to be working out as expected. Fiasco for sure, but after months of dealing with it it all worked out in the end I guess.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

2. Well that's good to hear. I've been agonizing over the G0563 vs a Vega (or this awesome old Crouch that's on Craigslist right now..). The problem with the Vega is I don't have room for such a giant sander. The G0563 is the perfect size.

Thanks for updating, by the way!

That U shaped platen must be difficult to get straight when building it, at least if you are not aware of the problem. As for my sander, straightened the platen and it has been an awesome sander since. I also took a piece of sheet metal and made a 6" flange for the dust collection hookup.

I recently got a G0564 and it is about 1/32" out of square at the idler end of the table using an 8" square, while it is dead on at the motor end. The table adjustment mechanism is not going to be perfect as it has a wide horizontal adjustment due to the pivoting platen/belt assembly, and the two ends of the table are independent of each other

The major issue I found with my G0564 was that the machine as shipped could not use 108" long belts. The included belt was 109" outer circumference and fit a little loose, but two 6x108" belts from different vendors both could not fit on to the rollers with the tension completely off, let alone run on the machine with the tension on. I did some looking and there are shims between the motor base and the machine frame, which are required as otherwise the drive roller hits a part of the platen frame (these are NOT denoted in the parts list but are required.) I had to adjust the stop nut for the idler roller tension mechanism until the tension spring would just fully compress when the lever was opened fully. That point would just let me use standard 6x108" belts. I screwed in that stop nut about 1/4" FYI. I also had to adjust the tracking, and it takes two 22 mm wrenches, not one 12 mm wrench, and the jam nut was on the other side of the threaded rod than the manual stated. Nonetheless, I got the machine adjusted appropriately.

The included 100 grit 6x~109" belt gave a finish approximating a 180 grit ROS, very fine and slow-cutting with the original adjustments. The 120 grit 6x108" belt that did not originally fit cut far more aggressively than that after I adjusted the machine, and the other 60 grit 6x108" belt I got hogs off material very quickly, as a 60 grit sanding belt should. I think the factory that made the sander had some slightly overly long belts and adjusted the machine to fit them even though it put the machine out of spec.

After adjustment, the machine works well. I wonder if Grizzly changed manufacturers recently and the new one supplied a metric-dimensioned (15x275cm?) machine that was "close enough" but in practice not quite so.