Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone glue brush find

Silicone glue brush find

Hello all,
    While perusing the blue borg I came across this:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd/Titebond-Pai...Tool/999990786
    Haven't used it yet but looks similar to more expensive ones I've seen offered for sale.

Thanks, Gene. That looks the same as the Rockler, just a different color.

John

How do you guys like that style brush. I have the one from rockler and I don't like it. In theory the glue releases from the silicone bristles, but I find that unless you rinse it , the glue can build up to the point that prying it off yanks at the bristles , so you have to be a little gentle and it takes just as much time as rinsing an regular brush does.

Second, the plastic spatula side gets rounded over on the corners so you can't really use it to clean squeeze out on inside corners as well as a fresh business card or metal paint scraper.

Third, the bristles are flimsy and it doesn't spread glue as efficiently as I had hoped.

This thing is nice in theory but just doesn't work for me.

I didn't care for mine either. Felt like I was spreading glue with a comb. Its in my pile of "looked like a good idea" tools.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

My wife has a similar thing for spreading cooking sauces and I don't care for it. It's like the BBQ sauce pools up on the bristles (more like fingers than bristles) but getting an even application is really diffcult. Cleanup easy but I actually prefer a regular paintbrush for applying sauces. Never would have thought you might see this for a paint finishing application.

Erik

I have the Rockler set that I purchased when it wos on a really good sale. There are some things in thate that I really like and there are other things that I don't care for. I really like the silicone tray for mixing glues with dye. The large comb works great for spreading glue on large area. The brushes I think are too coarse for my liking, even the little pencil one. I still prefer acid brushes for most things.

Bench dog makes the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-Too...ench+Dog+Tools

I have the Rockler brand and use it about half of the time. The other half of the time I'm waiting for the glue to completely dry on the brush so I can peel it off (which, I admit, is a strangely satisfying experience!). I also use the plastic paddle style spreader (https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-1911...=glue+spreader), which I don't think spreads the glue as well but is much easier/convenient to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    How do you guys like that style brush. I have the one from rockler and I don't like it. In theory the glue releases from the silicone bristles, but I find that unless you rinse it , the glue can build up to the point that prying it off yanks at the bristles , so you have to be a little gentle and it takes just as much time as rinsing an regular brush does.
    I would think that the rinsing would at least be easier to get release from the glue with this type of material during cleanup after using, but I have no experience with a brush of this type.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Toss the brush into a container of water and forget about it. When you need it, swish it around good in the water and it'll usually come out pristine clean.

I have 4 of these brushes and regularly go through them. You can use the same container of water for quite a while, too, if you want to be water conscious (which is a good mindset to have here in California).

However, is IS fun picking dried up glue from them so I'm with Mark there!

The plastic spreader Mark posted are also good for cleaning squeeze-out. The paddle end of the Rockler one is excellent for spreading glue in domino mortises.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have one of the Rockler glue brushes and I use it all the time. I like it a lot, much better than the disposable acid brushes. The Lowe's price is unbeatable, I'm gonna grab a few more.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Works Well for Me. Cheap!

I use these most often. They cost a $1 at the Dollar Store. Cut the brush with scissors to about 1/2 inch. They are silicone construction and dried glue comes off easily. I spread glue with an old credit card or plastic business card.
    Compressed.jpg

I bought the brush for use with contact cement and it performed really well. I needed brush control and this one was the right size. For large areas I use a silicone spreader instead.

I've used these from lee valley for years and find they work very well and are not very expensive:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,110,42967

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-X-Ch...+basting+brush

Ive had good luck with these types. Not these in particular but similar. Just like the poster above put it in a cup of water. I have my original 4 pack from several years ago.

Purchased them, now just use my finger and a towel. They sit in the drawer. However, they did clean up nicely when the glue has completely DRIED.