Thread: Restoring old Redwood- resin removal and live edge help

Restoring old Redwood- resin removal and live edge help

I have come across an old redwood bar that I have since taken apart and begun to work on. The biggest piece is the piece I am most excited about as well as the squared looking piece. I am going to list the problems I have with the pieces and then the questions I have.
    IMG_5142.jpg
    Problems
    • The pieces have this terrible resin on them that is hard to remove. I destroyed the back of this piece and am planning on using the opposite side which is just as good. However I want to remove all this junk to have a nice finish.
    • IMG_5145.jpg
    • On this bigger piece, I have a really cool live edge that I am planning on utilizing, but I need advice on getting rid of the rot and cleaning it up IMG_5143.jpg
    • On the smaller square piece I have a cool live edge and am interested in making prestiene.
    • IMG_5146.jpg

QUESTIONS
    1. How do I remove the resin
    2. How to I preserve my life edges
    3. How should I progress through sanding
    4. A lot of the pieces have a natural curve on the surface, should I make them all perfectly level surfaces? or keep the natural curve.
    5. Please trow any ideas you have at me. I need advice and tips to help make this project killer.

Below is the stack of wood from the leftover bar. Ideas are welcome.......
    IMG_5154.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick Ahrold; 10-02-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Resin as in a finish sone one applied?

Find a wide belt sander to run the thing thru and grind it off?

On the rot , pressure wash it off , or have it soda blasted ?

For the sake of wood , I'm thinking you meant "stack" , Live edge shelving ? Clock faces , re-saw to get a couple out of each , trivets / hot plates, again resaw to get max use of stock?

A sawmill / band saw could re-saw a slice off each side to get rid of the resin / finish. Or a slab flattening jig to use a router to flatten get rid of the resin / finish . See FWW for the slab flattening jig if you don't know what that is.

Paul,
    The belt sander wont get the details on the side of the piece.
    I should pressure wash, but any other methods?

I want to keep these pieces as big as possible. Maybe a desk, and a coffee table. iron hairpin legs...

I just need to figure out how to get the most potential out of these edges without having to jigsaw them off.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ahrold View Post
    Paul,
    The belt sander wont get the details on the side of the piece.
    I should pressure wash, but any other methods?

I want to keep these pieces as big as possible. Maybe a desk, and a coffee table. iron hairpin legs...

I just need to figure out how to get the most potential out of these edges without having to jigsaw them off.

Thanks,

Is the resin finish ? I think if you break the seal off the faces , the live edge "finish , or resin" may break down a LOT easier if you can get lacquer thinners or even MEK , Acetone or the like to soak into the now degraded finish.

So IF you can sand the top and bottom , you can then attack the "resin" that's on the live edge is my thinking.

Need Help with these live edges

NEED HELP WITH THESE LIVE EDGES
    how do I go about sanding and finishing. I have no idea where to begin.,..
    IMG_5143.jpgIMG_5142.jpg

The "resin" (its more like a flakey plastic at this point) isnt the huge issue.
    I am more interested on how I will sand these live edges and make this a presentable piece.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ahrold View Post
    The "resin" (its more like a flakey plastic at this point) isnt the huge issue.
    I am more interested on how I will sand these live edges and make this a presentable piece.

Thanks!

I don't think you will "sand" the live edge, maybe you can wire brush it , after or while you soften the "resin / finish" that been applied to it it.

Good luck.

What about a handheld power planer to remove the resin surface? If it doesn't easily chip off I'd try the power planer.

Maybe a wire wheel to remove any bark or soft/rotted areas (knotted for really aggressive, straight for regular work), followed by a small power sander (flap sander in a drill maybe, or the edge of a flexible ROS pad).

I would just use a wire brush and scrub those edges firmly. This will remove loose dirt and bark. Wash it with soap and water, let dry, then finish. Personally I wouldn't alter the edge or try to improve it in any way. I would break and smooth the edges with 150 grit sandpaper. I'd aim to remove edge sharpness not surface texture.

I agree with Prashun. You mostly just want to clean the live edge and remove any loose pieces. You could also shoot it with compressed air and/or a sharp stream of water from a hose. Generally speaking, it looks pretty clean so you may not have much work to do. I assume it'll be a side, coffee table kinda thing? What kind of legs are you thinking?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The live edges should be dealt with via a stiff wire brush first. If that doesn't do the job you might need to find a sandblaster so you can carefully blast away and smooth out the edges. I wouldn't advocate a powered grinder or sander unless you really don't want the live edge character

Could the resin be poured on polyurethane or epoxy? Would a heat gun and scraper help to take that stuff off? I've never tried this, just a thought.
    Mark McFarlane

I was thinking about doing simple iron hairpin legs. That is a whole additional topic; what I had planned was to use a router to carve out the inlay of the base of the leg.