Thread: Table Bread board end separating

Table Bread board end separating

I made a walnut table with drawbored bread board ends, with dominos, around a year ago. One of the sides is perfect while the other is separating as in the photo. I assume that one of the drawbored dowels was not executed correctly.

What would be the best way to fix this issue other than sawing off the breadboard and reinstalling from scratch?

Thanks
    IMG_0282.jpg

If you need to put the structural strength back in to stop the separation, that's going to be a little difficult and will have to be done from underneath. It could be as easy as using some table irons, or "8's"

If it is done moving, and that's the important part, router a groove along the length of the breadboard end where it meets the table and glue in a strip of contrasting wood to hide the gap. Don't try to match the wood, just find some nice contrasting wood, or maybe ebony and lay it in the groove.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I think the dowel has failed. I don't see a dowel end. Did you do through dowels? You can't do a draw bore unless you do.

Redoing the whole breadboard, while probably the right way, well I'd be looking for alternatives.

One way would be screwing it from the edge and plugging the hole. Careful selection of plug material will render the fix almost invisible.

The dowels are in the underside and go through the domino, which has a wide hole to allow for movement.
    I thought maybe to clamp it back together and insert a new dowel. I hadn't thought the dowel failed, but now that you mention it and the fact that the gap is slowly widening, it makes sense.

trim the end off and re do the joints. This time forget the draw pins. Make the center domino tight and the ones near the edges wide. Glue the center three and let the others float in either the bb end or the top. Can you replace the breadboard stock with something more straight grained?