Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble loading photos

Okay, thanks Bruce. What type of pc and operating system are you using?

I think the gremlin on my machine is part of a Windows 10 update a few days ago. It was a massive update and I suspect that my issue started with that. BTW, I have been following the procedures you referred to for pictures for sometime and haven't struggled until this gremlin surfaced.

I have been resizing photos with different Microsoft programs and it shows that they are jpeg files when done. Properties say it is a jpeg with a certain file size. For example, the above photo was saved to my desktop but it would not load from my machine. It did from yours.

I tried a new twist and it seems to be necessary to my system now. Even though the previous files were jpegs, I am not sure the upload process recognized them as such from my machine as I tried to upload them. I just resaved one by selecting jpeg from a drop down and while the properties didn't change, it now uploads. So my problem is solved. Thanks for trying to help.

I will call it Windows 10 update issues and move on. It just adds an additional step on my pc to make it work.

Photo upload test

Alan,

I tested the image upload with the file you emailed to me as well as one "run" through Photoshop to clean up any issues. Both uploaded without issue:

T0_pulls plenty now.jpg T1_pulls plenty now.jpg
    The internal data in the file didn't appear to be unusual. The file displayed properly in the programs I tried. The file itself seems fine.

Some thoughts then:
    You said uploads worked before, then quit. I assume you are using the same upload procedure as worked before.

- If you try a file that worked before, does it give an error now or does it still upload?

- Can you upload the problem photo to an album here?

- Are the files stored on the same type of device as before? (i.e. local HD)

- Any changes in your computer software or internet provider or connection hardware before then?

- If you are a member of other forums, such as AAW, can you upload a problem photo there?

JKJ

Alan, I'm running Windows 7. No desire to move to 10... yet.
    I don't know what the problem is. You could try clearing all your cookies for SMC? I don't know if that would have anything to do with it but it couldn't hurt.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks John and Bruce - I am calling it a Windows 10 update issue! That would affect both the software packages (Microsoft) that I used in the past.

Bruce, I understand your desire to not move to "10". I am betting most of the corporate users are still on 7. They certainly didnt go to "8".
    Yes, no harm in clearing the cookies. Meanwhile I found the work around and can put this aggravation to rest for the time being.

Thanks again for the help.

Blog Entries
    I've uploaded photos from Win 10 with no issues except for very large photo files which occasionally won't upload unless I resize them a bit. This photo would not upload until I reduced the file size from 4 Mb to less than 2 Mb.
    IMG_0007-15.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

So have I until the last few days. After the big update something changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've uploaded photos from Win 10 with no issues except for very large photo files which occasionally won't upload unless I resize them a bit. This photo would not upload until I reduced the file size from 4 Mb to less than 2 Mb.
    IMG_0007-15.jpg
    I want to be where that photo was taken..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    Thanks John and Bruce - I am calling it a Windows 10 update issue!
    Bummer. Microsoft hasn't tried to force me to update to 10, perhaps because I turn off the automatic updates.

This laptop is running Win 8. I find it quite usable after I installed the Classic Shell UI software. Before that I hated the UI, Microsoft's attempt to turn the OS into a tablet UI, and a poor one at that. The OS has been remarkably stable - I've been running it for 4 years I think and I can't remember having a glitch.

Alan, I may have missed it - what work-around did you find that works for the photo uploads?

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I want to be where that photo was taken..
    The photo is of Hell's Gate in Antigua. The water was quite clear and warm.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    . . . . . . ..

Alan, I may have missed it - what work-around did you find that works for the photo uploads?

JKJ
    John, in the past when resizing a jpeg file you simply resized it and saved it. It recognized that it was a jpeg and saved it as such. If you do that now, evidently when uploading from my laptop some attribute is confused or missing and the board doesnt recognize as a jpeg. However the properties of the file will say it is a jpeg but it will not upload from my machine. These same files did upload from your and Bruce's machines! Therefore I am thinking it has something to do with the Windows 10 update that was pushed out recently. It was a large one that took a long time and caused multiple reboots to get it installed.

Now when I resize (via Paint for example), I must go to a drop down and specify it be saved as a jpeg. When saved in this fashion, the file upload to the board then works.
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 10-04-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    Now when I resize (via Paint for example), I must go to a drop down and specify it be saved as a jpeg. When saved in this fashion, the file upload to the board then works.
    Thanks. I save stuff like this in a file in case someone else has the same problem later. (A habit from the past from moderating and doing tech support on a big forum, I guess!)

JKJ