Thread: Orca local-inspired sign for outbuilding

Orca local-inspired sign for outbuilding

Today my family and I had a "fun" day doing whatever we wanted once our basic chores were done for the day - my wife wanted to cook all day (the freezer is full of yummy quiches), my oldest son learned to throw playing cards (he's sticking them in styrofoam at 10 feet now!), my youngest "modded" and spray painted a nerf gun, and I designed and made a sign to go on an old chicken coop we recently rescued (it will be an equipment shed for my shop and will house my dust collector, compressor, etc) I say we rescued it because it was pretty much a write off and the previous owner was going to burn it... I put on a new roof, new siding where required (2 sides) fixed some framework and braced the foundation... then LOML and I painted it.

At any rate, the design is inspired by one done by Joe Wilson, but it is my own and incorporates things important here on Whidbey Island. The Orca (and salmon fin) for the important locals... an airplane, a prop/windmill, an eagle and the outline of the island itself.

The sign itself couldn't be simpler- 28x28 piece of ply, painted then the design scraped to reveal the wood veneer.

Hope y'all like it and hope this is the appropriate place to show it... (should it be in signs... CNC forum.. engraving.. too many options so I put it here!)

Lawrence

Looks great Lawrence!

Blog Entries
    Love it! Sounds like a good day for all.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Your explanation concerning the design aspects of this sign is integral to its appeal. Knowing how you included the local area details makes it unique, great job on the sign Lawrence.

Very nice work, Lawrence! I especially appreciate it being here in the same area where the Orca plays such a big role, in fact I was at Whidbey yesterday.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Very nice work. Nice storyline too .... Thanks for posting.

Beautiful, I miss the Pacific Northwest...
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Design details are great, and fantastic to have family day too. Thanks for posting
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc