Thread: Walnut bowls with lids

Blog Entries

Walnut bowls with lids

Back in late April, early May I started a thread wanting help turning a live edge bowl from a walnut tree my daughter and son-in-law decided was just too risky because it hung over the house and the steep bank was breaking away. So I grabbed as many pieces as could possibly fit in a Mercury Sable and rushed home with them, then hurried back for more before my wife found out what I was up to.
    No more wood !!! She said.
    Well with my daughter's birthday coming up I turned a bowl with bark all the way around then wrapped it in about 5 or 6 weeks worth of newspapers. When her birthday finally arrived, I took it out and discovered it had cracked, but the crack had stabilized.
    The bowl got me one of the biggest hugs ever from her, especially since it was made from her tree.

Then I went to work turning 2 cylindrical bowls, or canisters, I guess, with lids. I roughed them out and wrapped them in lots of newspapers and sacks. Tonight I opened them for the first time and was thrilled to discover neither bowl or lid cracked at all and they are all just below 10%.
    Call me crazy, but I resealed the end grains with thin CA. I could think of no reason not to and I had just taken delivery of my very first bottle of CA from Kingspors.
    Also, a while back I went to visit my daughter and said I'd like to look around for some walnuts from her old tree. I told her I planned to plant them, but my real reason is that I am going to use walnuts from the same tree as handles or knobs for the lids to the bowls.

Anyone else us CA to seal endgrain? Seemed like a good idea at the time. So now I will re-wrap them in sacks or newspapers til I can get to finishing them.

Sorry, hadn't planned on writing a novel, but with the bowls and lids nearly ready to finish and no cracks I am extatic.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to shoot the lids before wrapping.
    Attached Images Attached Images