Thread: Any Catia Gurus Available?

Any Catia Gurus Available?

I need the "easy button" for exploding a Catia file into components, to easily break out honeycomb panels that need to be cut. Working in Autocad, Solidview, and Rhino, as well as Aspire. Any info greatly appreciated!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda Williamson,

I'm not a Catia user but you might consider:

1. Make a copy of the original in Windows Explorer and save with a unique name, so the process can be repeated if necessary.

2. Open AutoCAD and create a new AutoCAD file with a unique name.

3. Go to : File > Import Depending on your version, AutoCAD will import a native Catia V4, 5, or 6 file: *.model, *.session, *.CATPart, *.CATProduct, *.exp, and *.dlv3 files

4. Go to Modify > Explode and AutoCAD should separate the assembly into parts or subassemblies.

5. Save a copy of the exploded AutoCAD version with a unique name.

6. If you are making files for CNC or laser use, for example in STL, make a copy of the AutoCAD File and either export or save in the format of the stepping program or import to that program if it reads DWG.

I'm always nervous when converting files, so I always save the original and again at each step with a unique name and the date.

I hope that helps. If this doesn't work, my niece's husband does submarine interiors in Catia and I'll ask him.

Gosh, Catia. Is the honeycomb a carbon fiber structural panel for a Boeing 787?

Alan Caro

PS: Extended Version of the above:

1. Make a copy of the original in Windows Explorer and save with a unique name, so the process can be repeated if necessary.

2. Open AutoCAD and create a new AutoCAD file with a unique name.

3. Go to : File > Import Depending on your version, AutoCAD will import a native Catia V4, 5, or 6 file: *.model, *.session, *.CATPart, *.CATProduct, *.exp, and *.dlv3 files

4. Go to Modify > Explode and AutoCAD should separate the assembly into parts or subassemblies.

5. Save a copy of the exploded AutoCAD version with a unique name.

_____These next four steps will be surplus to experienced CNC programmers, but as I'm a bystander to this, fills in the sequence so I can understand it a bit more fully.

__[ 6. Use Select > Move to arrange all parts or assemblies into clear, separate components.

__[ 7. Create a Group to integrate / intersect all the lines of the subject component. This may alternatively use Modify > Join to accomplish properly or even a conversion to Polyline. This is where I don't know how the particular CNC stepping setup will interpret the AutoCAD drawing.

__[ 8. Study the drawing and orbit in 3D, turning off each layer to ensure that AutoCad did not draw duplicate / overlay lines as I believe a CNC stepping sequence will cut each iteration.

__[ 9. Create a new file and Copy > Paste each, individual subject component to the 0,0,0 origin of the new file.

__9A_ Create a new layer with the name of the component.
    __9B_ Select all the lines in the group and use Modify > Properties to place everything into a single layer or create multiple layers that represent separate cutting sequences.
    __9C_ Move each set of lines into the appropriate layer, maintaining the relative 0,0,0 reference location of each layer / line set. And, again, a unique name. ]

10. If you are making files for CNC or laser use, for example in STL, make a copy of the AutoCAD File and either Export or save in the format of the stepping program or import from AutoCAD to that program if it reads DWG.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    < END
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 09-30-2016 at 2:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Caro View Post
    Gosh, Catia. Is the honeycomb a carbon fiber structural panel for a Boeing 787?
    No, but it is a fiberglass honeycomb panel for aircraft. Thanks for the tips, will have the CNC programmers try this on Monday!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra