Thread: Crazy Table Saw Clearance Question

Crazy Table Saw Clearance Question

If you think about how you use your table saw, how much height clearance realistically do you think you need at the 52" end of your extension table and outfeed table? Does anyone run anything that long through their saw that is more than a few inches thick like plywood and/or dimensional lumber? Just trying to decide how much space I really need to keep open in case I wanted to suspend something there above the table but don't want to find later I didn't think of something and now have a lack of clearance issue. I'm thinking if I left 12" clear it would be good but curious to know what you guys think. Thanks.

In my shop, the vertical tapers down to pretty much "nothing" at that end due to a stairwell and I do not find it to be a limitation. I think you can see that in this shop photo...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I dont think most need height clearance much more than their head height so you don't bump your dome.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I was taught to make the two halves of a tool cabinet as a single box. Then I put it on the table saw and cut almost all the way through the box to split it in two. That way, my two halves fit exactly. I think that's about the only time I would need that clearance for the work.

That said, I lean over my saw when I mess around inside to clean out sawdust jams and change blades. I think I would bump my head a lot.

Lighting it might be an issue.

Thanks guys.

Only way I see it being an issue is turning something over. As long as you can slide the work away from the low clearance, flip it, and slide it back or something, I don't see how it will limit you. The maximum your saw can cut is probably 3.5 inches so a foot would let you cut something from both sides.