Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Takeover ad on SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Guys, when you get one of this strange things use the snip feature of Windows 10 to copy the window and post it here. Make sure you get the address bar.
    Got my first one yesterday on my iPhone using Safari clicking a post. First time on W10 this morning clicking a subforum using Firefox with popup blocker enabled. Screen shot including history:

Popup.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Just now again. Clicked on Turners Forum. Got redirected to Webads.info.

It finally happened to me this morning. I selected New Posts and a window opened up to

ibtimes.co.uk/donald-trump-tax-leak-alleges-presidential-candidate-may-have-avoided-taxes-nearly-two-decades-1584384

Al of this information and what I have received from email and Private Messages is being transferred to Aaron Koehl.

Just started happening to me this morning.

Erik

It's impossible to use this site with the relentless high jack/takeover ads on my phone.

I agree about not using the site. I using my Kindle Fire HDX and it happens when I select a new sub forum.

Windows 10 with the latest updates and using edge seem to work fine. I have several hours on this site without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    Windows 10 with the latest updates and using edge seem to work fine. I have several hours on this site without problems.
    I use Chrome with Windows 10 with the latest upgrades and do not see any of what people are describing.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I also get this when clicking new posts on an Android device:

"PopAds.net redirected me to Google play store to the Moble Strike game"

I haven't seen anything on my Win7 Pro desktop & Firefox 49.0.1. I did get hit Friday afternoon using my iPad but I haven't been able to make it repeat.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

None of these latest reports are close to what I got. Sirens, alarms, warnings. The inability to shut the browser down. Using Ctl-Alt-Del to get to the Task Manager is how I got out of it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Disabling our banners is like stopping your paycheck when you are sick. Besides it seems the the issue happens when some people are clicking on forums and posts, not just banner ads.

It is also possible that your browser cashe has picked up a link from somewhere else that is following you here based on keywords. This might be the reason that only small number of people are experiencing the problem. We can what if this one to death but I can tell you that Aaron is spending as much time as he can to solve this issue.
    Well, if a few weeks of ad revenue is more important to you that protecting your customers , then I guess I am not going to risk coming here for at least awhile.

Biff,

Perhaps you read more into the statement than was intended, but the popup ads are not related to our banner advertisements. Please post if you see such ads again.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I am using Firefox on Windows 7 on two different computers and Firefox on my android phone with no issues. Watch it will start the next time I visit the forum.

These folks are gracious enough to host this site for us, for both contributors and members, and we are actually guests here. The ad revenue helps keeps this site functioning by covering some of the costs of maintaining the servers paying the bills for communication lines which are not free.

We need to be patient while they sort through what is causing the problems. It seems strange to me that some people using the same browsers and operating systems are having these problems and some are not. Could it be caused by the members internet service providers? I have Time Warmer at home for my WiFiand use AT&T for my cell phone when accessing the site while mobile.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 10-04-2016 at 4:50 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post
    Well, if a few weeks of ad revenue is more important to you that protecting your customers , then I guess I am not going to risk coming here for at least awhile.

Biff,

Perhaps you have forgotten what the word customer means, you're not a customer here you're a "Member" of this Community.
    If I thought anyone here was at risk I would have taken our server offline until we made sure it was safe.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-05-2016 at 1:14 PM.