Thread: Powermatic PM2244 drum sander casters

Powermatic PM2244 drum sander casters

Looking at the PM2244 for my garage shop. I understand the casters do not pivot. Anyone own one of these, and can tell me how hard it is to maneuver around when moving? Thanks.

To me it's the downside of a great machine. It's not a problem if you're just pulling it in or out from the wall, but if you want to make any turn - where do you grab to turn it - the motor (no) or the extension tables - also no. So I'm always trying to figure out to shove the base cabinet to get it turned.

'm considering buying a mobile base or building one with locking casters on all 4 corners which will also raise it slightly.

Same problem with my 37" Woodmaster. It is on a HD(?) Shop Fox mobile base, and it is all I can do to get the wheels to even roll. It weighs around 1200# shipping wt. I bought new large casters for it but need to change the base, and haven't gotten around to it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by BradD Strong View Post
    Looking at the PM2244 for my garage shop. I understand the casters do not pivot. Anyone own one of these, and can tell me how hard it is to maneuver around when moving? Thanks.
    This is actually an advantage for me. I keep the sander tucked into a spot for storage then pull it straight out into a walkway to use it with longer boards. The times I needed to move it some other direction took some heaving and scooting. I haven't inspected the casters to see how this would be changed.

JKJ