Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt Track Saw

They should be the same size.

I recently bought the Makita kit. It came with a 55" track. The longer one was obnoxiously expensive plus oversize LTL shipping cost due to the size. So I bought a $25.00 sheet of 1/2" MDF and made a 110" track for lengthwise cuts and a 72" track specifically for 5x5 Baltic Birch sheets. It was pretty easy to install rabbeted rails to mimic the Makita track. I sprayed the underside of the homemade tracks with a rubberized coating from Home Depot and they seem to grip very well though I still use spring clamps out of caution.

I have the DeWalt and when I got it new I purchased 3 55" tracks. That is all I have ever used. I did this because of the issue of 102" being borderline for an 8' piece of ply. They have worked well for me with no issue where the ends join together. One of the good things about the track is the dovetailed piece of steel used to join them is long enough to give a smooth transition.

If you do go this way one of the benefits is the short track is really nice when you are doing cross cut dados on ply, or using the track saw for modification work such as trimming a door bottom. The short length is a real benefit in this situation.

I'd love to see some photos of your shop made tracks.

I also have a Makita and choose to buy an additional short track along with two Festol connectors. Used the setup for about 4 hrs today and didn't have any problems but love the thought of making my own lengths

I purchased the Dewalt saw with the short track and long track 2 years ago, I love this thing. I figured I would be using it mostly sheets of plywood which I have, but have found so many other uses as well. Last week I joined the short and long tracks to cut some 1-1/2" x 10' strips of Formica, the joined tracks worked great. I purchased the factory joining bar with the set screws and have used it several times straight lining long lengths of rough lumber. I purchased the (2) track clamps with the saw but have never used them.

I now have all three DeWalt tracks (102, 59, and 41) and I have still not joined them, I don't even own the joining bar. All three of my tracks have the exact same size guide rib.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I purchased the Dewalt saw with the short track and long track 2 years ago, I love this thing. I figured I would be using it mostly sheets of plywood which I have, but have found so many other uses as well. Last week I joined the short and long tracks to cut some 1-1/2" x 10' strips of Formica, the joined tracks worked great. I purchased the factory joining bar with the set screws and have used it several times straight lining long lengths of rough lumber. I purchased the (2) track clamps with the Dewalt Track saw but have never used them.
    Do the joined tracks still work?

I commented twice on this thread that I have never joined my DeWalt tracks but that is no longer true. I have all three DeWalt offers. I made a 10 foot dining room table earlier this year and I used my track saw to cut a glueup ready edge on the 6 boards that make up the top of this table. I joined the 103 to the 59 using the DeWalt connector I now have. Worked very well. There were a couple joints I recut after checking but it was by far the easiest way for me to get these boards ready for glueup.

You can only use one connector with the DeWalt track. I now use an Evolution track saw when volunteering and we only have two 50 inch tracks for it. It is Festool style tracks and we have connectors but I still typically just use one. It works. The only "trick" I recommend is to use a long level or something else straight to align the tracks before tightening the grub screws. I did not do that with the Evolution track saw, Wen track, and I got a not terribly straight track. Saw bound on it some too.

Last point. Powertec makes a 55 inch track for DeWalt track saws now. Another option.

I have both long and short rails for my Dewalt track saw and didn't get the joining bar--didn't know they had one. I milled purple heart "bars" to fit in the aligning slot, leave one in each end of the tracks,
    and slide it out to engage the adjoining slot as needed. Butting the track ends has been easy and accurate for straight cuts. They stay in the slot so I don't have to look for one for a long cut. I use it mostly for ripping long slabs 2"++ thick and make multiple passes at a reasonable depth to be kind to the motor and the tracks stay put --I always use the clamps. To finish the cut I pull the tracks apart, flip the slab and realign the tracks. The homemade bars make the change quick and easy. This is for occasional hobby projects but should work for "pro" applications as well.

I googled it to be sure but DeWalt offers a connector, I saw a couple places that offered it for less than $30. I didn't know if I would ever use it when I bought it but it came in handy when I was making my table.

Get the TSO connector(s) for whatever brand tracks you want to join.

Other than Mafell, Bosch/ Metabo which use a flat connector of a better design.

After tons of research I went with a Mafell track saw and Bosch tracks specifically because of all the reviews about how superior the system for joining two tracks together is compared to other brands. I have not been disappointed in the saw or the track, both work beautifully. I often join the two 63" Bosch tracks I own for cutting 8' sheets. I have never felt the need to purchase a single long track. Storing the 63" tracks is enough of a hassle, I don't need a longer track to mess with too. I have considered cutting ~8" off one of the Bosch tracks. It would be a little easier to use for 4' cuts and still give me plenty of length with the other 63" track for 8' cuts. I haven't run into any longer than 8' cuts so far.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-22-2021 at 4:14 AM.

I recently had to rip some 1x6 VGF for replacement floor boards. Material was 13’. With my Festool 2-54” (?), and 1-30” (?) tracks joined I set up my laser to confirm the line. That provided a nice fat fuzzy line so next I got out some fishing leader and pulled a straight line, nudging the track to line. I made the several cuts to the same method and checking each board with the line am satisfied with the result