Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

26 Sep 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I started another round of oncall duty today. Appears to be a busy week ahead of me, but I will reserve judgement on it until later in the week. Spent some time with the family this weekend and went to our local county fair with the LOML Jr and her hubby. Seems like the fair is getting smaller all the time or maybe I'm just not as interested in it as I once was.

This week, I start the 3rd phase of work for the local bowling alley and this should all but finish up all they wanted done. Here's to hoping that this week goes very well with tremendous progress for phase 3.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Aside from mowing the grass after an extra week of it not needing it, I pretty much spent the rest of the weekend working on the "mini" bathroom renovation that I started last weekend. More demolition ensued and then it was on to "un-doing" some things that a contractor hired by the previous owners a couple decades ago to prep for the new shower...like restoring a floor joist that had been cut to shreds as well as removing and replacing some of the floor surface that had been rotted by leak-derived moisture. I've now started in with the framing for the new shower so that things are plumb, level and brings said shower to the edge of the cut line on the existing tile floor. One thing is for sure...I'm not rushing anything because I don't want to make mistakes and I need this new shower installation to blend in with the existing room like it's existed there from the start. Here's where I left things when I stopped yesterday:

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim, It looks like that triple stud is crooked...

Mark McFarlane

Had been wanting to reconfigure my dust collection as it came off the combination machine. Knew it was a several hour job at least. I'd designed and welded up an outfeed table support that would let the collection manifold and gates wind around the end of the saw. I'll get back to building the rest of the outfeed later. The dust collection though I needed right away.

Drilled out all the rivets, pulled apart, reconfigured, reriveted. Then determined I needed a bracket to hold the dust collection manifold. Had some 1/2" baltic birch and a piece of cherry the right size. Measured the offset and drew up a suitable design configuration in Adobe Illustrator. Glued up the blanks (used a vacuum press) and machined out. Drilled and tapped the location I wanted to install and all done. Back in business.

I like that I can quickly detach the hose connecting the combo machine's dust collection to the main system. This would make it easy to move something around that end of the machine if needed. The bracket looks cool and works exactly as envisioned. It wasn't too much work and is extremely strong. At some point I'll take it all apart to paint the outfeed table and will likely epoxy the dc bracket at that time.

Note to self: didn't use peel ply for the vacuum bagging instead just wrapping with some poly sheet and then covering with breather. Some epoxy did leak out and penetrate the breather ... which became very difficult to remove.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-26-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Note to self
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Jim, It looks like that triple stud is crooked...
    There are a lot of things crooked in this house...in the 1750s section, the 1950s section (where I'm working) and the 1980s section, in particular. The 2008 half is pretty darn plumb, but no projects are needed there as it's nearly new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I purchased 2 interior raised panel doors and hung them and painted the hallway ceiling.

I also patched some drywall damage, now onto painting the trim, then the walls.............Regards, Rod.

My weekend project was to cut some 3/4" PT panels to fit along the sides of my utility trailer and then clamp/bolt them in place. The cutting was no problem with the track saw. The drilling through the 1/4" angle of the trailer was the hard part. That said, now I can carry the loose stuff like mulch or dirt in it much better.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Started tearing down my new old JD 318. I hope finding parts won't be too bad. I need it up and running for snow if we get any.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time