Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Laguna SUV not tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    There's a local BBQ place here in Austin that is world-famous, was featured in an AmEx commercial, President Obama got take-out there, and that all the hipsters wait 2-3 hours in line to eat at. Everyone I've talked to says their BBQ is great. Now, my wife and I have tried pretty much every BBQ within a 50-mile radius and there is one that we consider the best. It is about a half-hour drive out of town and there is never a wait. My logic is, "Why should I wait in line for 2-3 hours when I can just get in the car, have awesome BBQ, and be back home and taking a nap on the sofa while all those hipsters are still standing in line. Or do they know something I don't?". So, whenever I run into someone that has tried the first place, I always ask the them if they have tried the place that is my favorite.

That sums up my relationship with the RK: I know lots of folks swear by it but I've never been able to justify paying what Laguna asks when you can get a Lenox for less, that gives awesome results.

Erik
    so what is your favorite place ive had Franklin bbq last week didn't think it was amazingly better then anywhere else.

you can order Franklin online now and go pick it up they started this recently you just have to pick a day a month in advance lol.

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    so what is your favorite place ive had Franklin bbq last week didn't think it was amazingly better then anywhere else.

you can order Franklin online now and go pick it up they started this recently you just have to pick a day a month in advance lol.
    Our favorite place is Opies, in Spicewood...

http://www.opiesbarbecue.com/

I'm sure Franklin is good but, because I live in Austin, I can also say that lots of people wait in lines at any number of restaurnats here, just to post a picture on Instagram of them waiting in long lines at a restaurant here.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I'm sure Franklin is good but, because I live in Austin, I can also say that lots of people wait in lines at any number of restaurnats here, just to post a picture on Instagram of them waiting in long lines at a restaurant here.

Erik
    Today many caught in the social media vortex choose where to eat based on the plating and how it will look on their FB and IG. It has started an over the top soigne plating trend that causes too many chefs (particularly young ones) to throw the idea of editing out and wind up with too much on the plate. I have a feeling I could go into many fine dining restaurants and let people waiting for a table take a picture of my food and they would just leave.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I agree with those who feel a 1" blade is pretty dicey on a 14" saw. Are you sure you need a 1" blade to do your resawing? I've used the RK but have gone back to the 1/2" woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Even with wide tough wood the Woodslicer works well with good guides. The RK worked well on my Laguna 18 when the blade was new but after a couple of resharpenings it developed vibration. With the Woodslicer I can buy a new blade for half the cost of having the RK resharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kotnik View Post
    I agree with those who feel a 1" blade is pretty dicey on a 14" saw. Are you sure you need a 1" blade to do your resawing? I've used the RK but have gone back to the 1/2" woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Even with wide tough wood the Woodslicer works well with good guides. The RK worked well on my Laguna 18 when the blade was new but after a couple of resharpenings it developed vibration. With the Woodslicer I can buy a new blade for half the cost of having the RK resharpened.
    While the impulse hardened spring steel Woodslicer* is extremely sharp and does a great job initially it dulls very quickly, a carbide blade will outlast them 15 or more times. The Woodslicer is really a situational player for most people, used for great finish when you need to take advantage of the very thin kerf and/or if you have a small light saw that can't provide much tension and you still want to resaw.

* actually the Highland Woodslicer is the most expensive version of the same blade stock, Iturra sells the Blade Runner for less and Spectrum Supply sells the Kerfmaster for even less. It is all the same impulse hardened spring steel blade that is "borrowed" from the meat cutting industry
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.