Thread: YETI Cups - Is Powder Coating Toxic?

YETI Cups - Is Powder Coating Toxic?

Hello,
    I'm going to have some YETI cups powder coated, and other stainless drink cups.

Wanted to know if I need to worry about Powder Coating that will be used, more importantly, is Powder Coating Ok to drink Hot/Cold beverages from?

I know folks do this already, is there a special powder coating I should ask for.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Dan

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I found this on the web:

Are powder coatings suitable for use on surfaces which come into contact with food?

Some powder coatings are designed specifically for contact with food but this is a specialized application that would be developed on a Made To Order basis. If this feature is required, you should contact Dulux for further information as the standard ranges of powder coatings are not suitable for contact with food.

http://duluxpowders.com.au/informati...ked-questions/
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

will they stand up to the heat of powder coating

Blog Entries
    Are you powder coating the INSIDE of the container? If so why?
    If not, just the outside, where your mouth would touch, then it is incidental contact with food and that is how they are rated.
    But you can easily obtain food grade material.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by daniel hernandez View Post
    Hello,
    I'm going to have some YETI cups powder coated, and other stainless drink cups.

Wanted to know if I need to worry about Powder Coating that will be used, more importantly, is Powder Coating Ok to drink Hot/Cold beverages from?

I know folks do this already, is there a special powder coating I should ask for.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Dan
    Unless I'm mistaken, you have to heat them up to 350 to fuse the powder - you'll ruin the vacuum seal and make the cup worthless. They don't recommend dishwashing them for the same reason and I'm pretty sure my dishwasher doesn't quite reach 350...

Thank you!

No not the inside, thanks for the information!

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question here; regarding powder coating being toxic.

Maybe I should be asking where folks get the YETI cups that have the various outer coating colors? ....and is there a way I can do this my self?

Thanks,
    Dan

We painted our panels (major appliances) using the electrostatic method with robots and cured them at 400 degrees. A conveyor carried the painted items through a 100-foot long gas fired oven for curing.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

To answer the OP questions. I've been a powder coating for 12 years. Powder Coating isn't toxic all. Some powders do contain TGIC in the 5% to 10% range for UV stability. These are used outdoors. Most powder MFG's are moving away from this and the powders are being made TGIC free. FDA approved powders come in very basic colors. These are the ones the MFG's have submitted for testing. Most MFG's sell powder as FDA compliant which means they are the same but haven't went through the FDA testing. I use TGIC free powders. If a custom wants a color that only comes in TGIC the tops of the cups are masked so they would not come in contact with food products.

You can heat a YETI, RTIC, or other brand as much as you want. There is no chance that the vacuum seal will fail. It is a welded construction. The bottom cap is decorative only. Time to time I will have a bottom pop off if water has gotten in there and once heated the pressure builds up. You just have to pop it back on.

Here is the answer from RTIC. Still not sure how it's ok to powder coat at 350/400 degrees but not ok to run in the dishwasher due to the temperature.

Somer Martinez (RTIC Coolers)
    Sep 19, 10:19 AM CDT
    Hello Gary,
    You are welcome to powder coat the tumblers, it will void any warranty through us though! They are not dishwasher safe because the heat could break the seal that maintains the temperature.
    Customer Service & Support
    RTIC Coolers
    Email: help@rticcoolers.com
    Phone: 1-855-527-6993
    www.RTICCoolers.com