Thread: How to post a reply at the END of a thread

How to post a reply at the END of a thread

Hi,

I am often frustrated when I click the big blue reply to thread button and then find my reply buried somewhere in the middle of the thread. How do I place a reply at the end of the thread (at the time I write it, of course)

Doug

What Display format are you using?

Whenever someone posts to a thread, the post automatically goes to the end of the thread. Of course, others can come along later and add additional posts resulting in your post now being in the middle of the thread.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

I'm not sure what sort format. I went to my profile/settings page and I think the format is "Hybrid". But your question shows me that different users may see the threads organized differently. For an example of my issue, see the thread on Hand Made in the Neanderthal Haven. I meant to respond at the end of the thread but my response appears (to me at least) somewhere in the middle of the thread.

I don't intend that you would spend a lot of time on this --just asking. If each user controls the sort order of posts then the question may have no meaning

Thanks for your response

Doug

Just a test of "Reply to thread". So my first response (Ken, I'm not sure what) was posted with the "reply" button (lower right button) and this one was posted with "Reply to Thread" (lower left button). They have the same effect?
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 09-18-2016 at 9:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you use the reply button on an individual post. It will be arranged in line with that post. If you use the big blue reply to thread it will put your reply at the end of the thread you are viewing. At least that is how it seems to work for me. Note: I used the reply on your original post for this one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Take a look at the information link below. It might help. It sounds to me like you are in a display mode that you don't prefer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/faq.php?...thread_display

Lee, I want to verify your idea here for myself. I never realized this. And it didn't work for me.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-18-2016 at 10:36 AM.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Just a test of "Reply to thread". So my first response (Ken, I'm not sure what) was posted with the "reply" button (lower right button) and this one was posted with "Reply to Thread" (lower left button). They have the same effect?
    Doug as pointed out by the link in Art's post, try changing your display mode to Linear. You can do it at the top of this page but IIRC, that will only effect this thread. You can go into your User Settings and change it which becomes your default setting. As the information Art linked to states, all posts are put into chronological order which is what I thought was true.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Test # 2 I used the reply in Doug's original post to post this.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Test # 3 I used the blue Reply to thread after clicking on Ken's "verify" post to post this. Here are my settings.Capture.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Blog Entries
    Test #4 I used the blue reply to thread button after clicking on my first reply to Doug.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Blog Entries
    Test #5 This post was made using the black reply at the bottom of my first post to Doug.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

I use "Linear" mode whereas you are using "Hybrid" mode. Try Linear and see how you like it.

Ken, Lee, Art,

Thanks for your interest in this issue. My concern was motivated by the impression that a post might be "buried" in the middle of a thread when it logically should appear at the end. Now I see that the order in which posts appear depends on the format that the user chooses. Since I have no control over that, I'll just accept it. People will just have to seek out my gems of wisdom.

I was using "hybrid" mode. When I switched to linear it was just as Art said it would be. The sort order in hybrid mode does include surprises, however. Lee's test messages appear in hybrid mode out of chronological order: test#3 at 4:51, #4 at 4:53, #5 at 4:54 and then (drum roll) #2 at 4:49 appears at the bottom of the thread, connected to my OP, even though he replied to my second post.

Oh well. We have more important things to do like arguing about what hand made means.

Thanks again

Doug.