Thread: Snapped the shaft on my Carter QR1000 Quick Release bandsaw tensioner

Snapped the shaft on my Carter QR1000 Quick Release bandsaw tensioner

Hey All,

I was doing my Hulk impersonation again today (I have a bull in the china shop mode that I go into for some reason every now and then) and I broke my quick tension lever on my small 14" bandsaw. I took it apart and found the shaft had snapped inside the gear. There is no obvious way (to me) to reattach this without a machinist. Anyone gone through this? My unit is only a few months old, but I cannot in good conscience a call this a warranty issue - I pushed the thing a lot harder than I should have. If I start to turn green keep me away from your nice tools...

Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback if you have any ideas. I guess I will email Carter and ask if the shaft and gear can be purchased. Doesn't look to hard to replace.

Thanks Folks

Joe

Can it be welded (if you can't get a replacement reasonably)? I've got one in the garage on a spare bandsaw but can't get to it at the moment to examine.

JKJ

Post a pic!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I would give Carter a call on Monday and see if the parts are available. You might be surprised how they respond.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I broke mine a few years back. It turned out to be a sheared pin that connects the shaft and gear. I was able to first drill out the pin from one side of the gear. Next I used a drift to knock the remaining broken pieces out and a trip to my local hardware store yielded a suitable replacement pin. It was a little confusing at first because the gear spun on the shaft but I couldn't pull the gear off. That turned out to be from the way the roll pin sheared when it broke. Perhaps they have changed the design if the shaft actually snapped ?
    Carter broken.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-18-2016 at 3:47 PM.
    Dick Mahany.