Thread: Identify some saws?

Identify some saws?

Latest batch of tools from the latest toolchest:

wfa_toolchest_saws.jpg

Very sad about the broken handle on the compass saw at the top (handle looks to be rosewood?) --- anyone able to identify it or link me to a photo of a complete handle so that I can try to make a new one?

Anyone know of a source for a replacement blade for the (black metal handle PAT JUNE 24 79) keyhole saw?

The Disston is a D-8, post 1955 so arguably not that interesting --- the other saw w/ the odd teeth pattern is a Rockwell, which I've higher hopes for --- not finding the same wealth of information for them --- am I missing something obvious?

I am not an old saw expert,but the Rockwell looks like Disston made it. And about the same vintage as the other Disston. Amazing how their handles have devolved from what they used to be.

Yeah. A lot of this chest has been disappointing --- interesting that H.K. Porter Company made saws under multiple names (at least that's what I'm understanding from your statement).

One of these days I'm going to break down and just buy a nice pair of good-sized saws if one of these tool chests doesn't come through.

Side note on H.K. Porter. There use to be a steam locomotive that carried the water tank over the boiler. used mainly of shipping docks. And was built by HK Porter. Back in the 70s, I worked for a company here in Bellefontaine, OH that made rubber hoses. Yep, it was HK Porter....wound up working 22 years there. ( COPD???) Since changed their name to first Thermoid, then to HBD IND Inc. Right now, they are making rubber hoses for Honda, and other automakers.

The top one of the two large handsaws.....change the location of the medallion to match that of the bottom saw.....you will find they are the same saws.

The Black handle saw might have been made by either Stanley, or Great Neck Tool Co.

Thanks!

Interesting point about the medallions --- might have to swap one around when I clean up the handles. Tooth profile on the Rockwell is different, so there's that at least.

William

The crosscut saws should be fine for use.clean them up and sharpen them. I have a Disston(Craftsman) I bought when I was young. Just exactly like yours.

Well, first...the bottom saw is NOT a D-8. It's a D-23. Second, the other handsaw is not like the bottom one with the medallion in a different place. The top one is much newer and looks like it might be a Craftsman or Stanley made by anybody. The handle contours on the two saws are not even the same.

The cast-iron-handled small saw at left is a Disston keyhole saw.

All three can do good work if cleaned up, set and sharpened.

Two larger saws are merely a year apart. Happen to have a couple just like them..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    As for a D-23....have several in the shop..
    IMAG0276.jpg
    $2??
    refurbbed saw.jpg
    And this one was free.
    close up.jpg
    One of three I have, including a 6ppi rip.