Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something weird happened the other day

You have to admit that you have a very good dust collector. Mine is so feeble it would never get that far.

Reminds me of the times when working on my truck motor, I dropped a lot of nuts and bolts, and they never made it to the garage floor....Sold it after 20 years, with a lot of free hardware .....

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kintner View Post
    Reminds me of the times when working on my truck motor, I dropped a lot of nuts and bolts, and they never made it to the garage floor....Sold it after 20 years, with a lot of free hardware .....
    I dropped a screwdriver and it never came out. Decided I had better things to do with the tools (and time), so said 'uncle' and started supporting my local mechanic.

I had that same problem on a couple of occasions with the arbor nut tunneling its way down into the DC pipe after I'd dropped it. Also on a couple of occasions, small off cut pieces would work their way through the throat plate (I wasn't using a zero-clearance at the time) and get pulled into the DC pipe, letting me know they made the trip by the "WHANGGGG" they made as they hit the DC fan blade. To prevent both of these events in the future, I cut off a section of lattice panel from a plastic packing crate and placed it over the DC inlet at the bottom of the tablesaw enclosure (I have a contractor style saw that I've outfitted with an aftermarket DC connection/dust chute at the bottom). The gaps in the lattice are still a little large, but it keeps the bigger pieces...and the arbor nut on occasion, from dropping down into the DC pipe.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-16-2016 at 10:14 AM.

This is just like working on a boat in the water. Whatever gets dropped (spreader pins, etc.) heads immediately for the water. It's like they're running for home!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L. Miller View Post
    This is just like working on a boat in the water. Whatever gets dropped (spreader pins, etc.) heads immediately for the water. It's like they're running for home!
    Tom
    You must be a sailor.

Sta-Masters are a gift from God. I used to keep spare pins and ring dings on the boat for changing rig tension on the water. Now you use the main sheet to take tension off that shroud and loosen/tighten up the Sta-Master and you're done. Nothing to sacrifice to the wind God's in the process.

Everything else you're hosed though...

There should be a rotating clip pin of some sorts that sits directly across from the arbor pointing at it. That way, when you remove the arbor nut and washer it has to slid onto the pin and then you flip it into it's held place while you change blades. Then flip it back down and put the nut back on the arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    You have to admit that you have a very good dust collector. Mine is so feeble it would never get that far.
    Not sure about the weight of a nut but I have to be careful with small, thin cut off pieces as they will wind up in the dust collector banging all the way down the tube if Im not careful. Sucks when what you wanted was the small cut off piece.

My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Sta-Masters are a gift from God. I used to keep spare pins and ring dings on the boat for changing rig tension on the water. Now you use the main sheet to take tension off that shroud and loosen/tighten up the Sta-Master and you're done. Nothing to sacrifice to the wind God's in the process.

Everything else you're hosed though...

Martin,
    A sailor I am. Recovering (yeah, right) a pin in 50+feet of water makes digging a washer out of a piece of ductwork seem easy!

Regards,
    Tom

Something Weird Happened.................

I have several 'rare-earth' magnets in the first several feet of metal pipes at each machine. Located where it is easy to access.

Never had a 'nut' or 'washer' with legs.
    Ira

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Good idea as long as it never flys off while the saw is on. Wonder if it would cause any issues being done on a SawStop.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!