Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me your experience with G0766

Tell me your experience with G0766

I am considering replacing my Nova 16-24 with the Grizzly G0766. I watched with interest all the posts in anticipation of the new model coming out. I understand there were some bugs at first. Are those all fixed now? The combined experience of everyone at Sawmill Creek will certainly help me make up my mind ... good or bad.

I really need to get into a heavier lathe with bigger swing. I make 3-500 pieces a year ... so I use a lathe hard. Your input is important, so anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Price is very important. I'm a long way from being able to make the jump to the upper class so can't even consider the very top end lathes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    I am considering replacing my Nova 16-24 with the Grizzly G0766. I watched with interest all the posts in anticipation of the new model coming out. I understand there were some bugs at first. Are those all fixed now? The combined experience of everyone at Sawmill Creek will certainly help me make up my mind ... good or bad.

I really need to get into a heavier lathe with bigger swing. I make 3-500 pieces a year ... so I use a lathe hard. Your input is important, so anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Price is very important. I'm a long way from being able to make the jump to the upper class so can't even consider the very top end lathes.
    I suggest you do a search you should find more than enough reviews (or PM Roger Chandler).

Mike

Gary, short answer is it's turned out to be an excellent lathe, and Grizzly customer/technical support is hard to beat. I don't think you'll find a better value for the needs you're describing. If you haven't already, navigate to the SMC Grizzly Green Monster Group. (At top of this page, click Community>Groups>Search Groups>Grizzly Green Monster Group). Lots of owners of the G0766 (among other models) there discussing their experiences and impressions. Feel free to join the Group and ask questions. Scroll through the thread headings. If you have a specific issue in mind, just use the SMC general forum search function.

I do not see where you could get more bang for your buck anywhere else than the g0766, I have a early one yes there was some bugs but since I worked those out it has been great.

I took the plunge in January this year. I also sold my Nova 16-24 to get the Grizzly G0766. You will also need to save a $ little to get additional tool rests even though they fixed the banjo I found myself buying what I needed because what I had on my Nova did not fit the Grizzly. I have turned both pens and bowls now and I would not give up this lathe for any other. I really enjoy this lathe. I did buy the hydraulic lift table to help with the assembly because I had no one to help me with the assembly. I also used the hydraulic table to load the Nova on to the buyers truck.

I am currently sidelined from my shop because I am recuperating from foot surgery back in mid July.
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 09-15-2016 at 10:22 AM.

6. My G0766 has been a superb performer, and it has power, features and size that will run with most anything on the market. I just got a coring rig about 3 weeks ago after using one on a friends Robust American Beauty. With freshly cut box elder, we stalled his Robust AB [3 hp] and with a piece of spalted maple he gave me, that was much dryer, I did not stall my G0766 while coring. I know that any lathe can be stalled with too heavy a cut, and I have stalled my lathe with too heavy and agressive roughing cuts, but it has been a very rare occurance.

There were 2 units reported that had to have a new speed pot ordered, and one turner reported a live center that had a little wobble and was replaced by Grizzly. No more issues than with any other Asian make I suppose.

I have had two large blanks on my G0766 that were nearly 100 lbs. when starting, and the lathe handled them well. The 0766 has a 25mm tool post hole in the banjo, but most of us have enlarged it to 1 inch with a twist drill bit to accommodate aftermarket rests etc.

Come on over to the GGMG and join 190 other Grizz owners, and you will see a lot of info.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 09-15-2016 at 3:11 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I love mine. Took delivery of it in May, so it appears that all the issues others have had have been addressed, or perhaps I just got lucky and got a machine made on a Wednesday lol.

I've turned probably 50 bowls since I got it, the largest about 16" in diameter. I have only done a very small bit of spindle turning on it but had no issues/runout/vibration at 2800 rpm.

I laid a couple 2x10's across the leg assembly and put 100lbs of sand over either leg, made all the difference in the world.

Edit to say that I have zero regrets. I would buy this lathe again tomorrow with no hesitation.
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 09-15-2016 at 5:18 PM.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

The G0766s that were shipped in August and September 2015 had some irritating issues (banjo, tool post, banjo washer, undersize and sloppy spindle threads....). And the first ones shipped were about 2" taller than the current shipments.

But if you were to buy one now, all of those issues have been corrected (assuming that you receive a unit for the current production).

I have not been bashful about sharing my original issues on this forum and have been critical at times. Perhaps overly critical. But I have to agree with Roger and others that you will get a lot of bang-for-the-buck out of this lathe. It is probably the best lathe at that lower price point. If I were to get another lathe at this price point, it would probably be another Griz G0766.

I had to change out the speed pot on mine and some times I have to unplug the machine to get the spindle to turn on the first startup of the day seams to work fine ifit has run for awhile. But I dont think I could have gotten a better lathe in the price range I could spend, so far I love it.

I guess that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the money. Beats $5-6,000 for some of the others. Thanks for all your input.

I ordered my G0766 in May 2015, but told Grizzly not to deliver until I had made my move to a different house. During the time from order to delivery, the short banjo cropped up (with a tool post stop also being too tall). I fired off a letter to their Customer Service with attention to "Papa Grizzly" stating that I wanted the banjo shortfall issue addressed, and to have my unit opened and inspected for transport damage. As a result, the subsequent re-designed banjos were manufactured and shipped out to all early purchasers, and my unit arrived in very good condition on August 16th, 2015. I have turned maybe 10 bowls up to 16" diameter and a few platters and lots of small vessels. I did experience a defective speed pot, which was very quickly sent out, as well as touch up paint, and spindle and bearing (pre-emptive strike). It's a joy, and their Customer Service is very efficient. My regrets are: every time I go past that darned thing I feel compelled to turn a piece of wood, and now other hobbies are falling to the wayside. I hope you enjoy your new machine as much as I do.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I too am ready to upgrade from my Nova 16-24, however I'm not in a big rush. Does Grizzly ever offer discounts or free shipping? If so, I can patiently wait to save a few $$$'s.

Get on their catalog email list, and occasionally there is a $25 off coupon code for shipping. Fine woodworking magazine has had other discounts, only once per year is what I've been told.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Early adopter here. Dealt with the wrinkles (live center, banjo, pot) and am still very happy. Customer service was excellent through it all.

With the savings, I was also able to add a 17" bandsaw, coring rig, vac chuck, and lots of nice tools. In my case, I would not have acquired all the other items if I went a different route.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Passmore View Post
    I too am ready to upgrade from my Nova 16-24, however I'm not in a big rush. Does Grizzly ever offer discounts or free shipping? If so, I can patiently wait to save a few $$$'s.
    There is a coupon for 10% off orders of $200 or more placed before 10/31/2016 on the October edition of Woodworkers Journal I received in the mail. I doubt that I use it at this point. If you would like it, please let me know and I'll send you the code.