Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tau Manifesto

The Tau Manifesto

http://tauday.com/tau-manifesto

I just ran across this today and found it quite fascinating.

Pi is wrong!

The basic premise is that 2*pi shows up SO MUCH in mathematics that we should just use tau (tau = 2*pi).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

toMAYto, toMAHto...

I've never been much good at heavy math and geometry, but I already know how to figure the volume of a cylinder by using pi.
    A different approach to end up with the same results is pointless in my opinion...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

A difference with no significance

Blog Entries
    Someone has way too much time on their hands.
    NOW you tell me...

Somebody went too all that trouble to double the pi?

Well, pi exists without the 2 in that most astonishing relationship: e^^i*pi=-1.

A more extensive revision of trigonometry is advocated in the "WildTrig" series of videos by Prof. Norman Wildberger on YouTube.

BOOM!
    e^(i*TAU)=1
    BOOM!

I love the TAU manifesto.

BOOM! I love it. It is unfortunate, I think, that whomever decided way back when (somewhere around the 1600s if the videos I saw are correct) to make pi=3.1415... instead of making pi=6.2831....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    ... It is unfortunate, I think, that whomever decided way back when (somewhere around the 1600s if the videos I saw are correct) to make pi=3.1415... instead of making pi=6.2831....
    The fundamental definition of pi is pretty natural: it is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter. (No factor of two necessary.) The concept has been around since people have been thinking about geometry. The ancient Greek mathematicians were trying to find a value for pi three thousand years ago. In the intervening time, we've gotten more precise about it. For a while, 22/7 was considered pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    ... instead of making pi=6.2831....
    Then to find the circumference of a circle you would use C=.4pi d and area = .5 pi r^2

Personally I prefer Blackberry pi(e)
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't want to cut and paste from the first page of the website I posted but at least read Section 1 (and Section 2 will help even more) and you'll see that there are several valid points to why pi maybe should've be defined as twice its current standing. Then come back and let's discuss it if you like.

As to Jamie and Lee's points: tau = C/r or C=r*tau. No pesky 2pi in there.

As to the area, true, we have a pesky 1/2 in there: 1/2*tau*r^2. But the argument is that 1/2*ab^2 appears quite a bit in physics: 1/2*mv^2, 1/2*kx^2, 1/2*gt^2.... This is all discussed in Section 3 were you to get that far.

(Section 4.1 even has a very small reference to woodworkers who like to use that "spinny" thing to make bowls and such )

I was taught that pi is the area of a circle of unit radius = 1. All other pi based fun facts are derived from that most basic definition. This Tau thing is therefore nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I was taught that pi is the area of a circle of unit radius = 1. All other pi based fun facts are derived from that most basic definition. This Tau thing is therefore nonsense
    Ring-ding-a-ling! Pi is the baseline constant for the circle.

Yes, that is true for the area of a circle but pi goes well beyond calculating the area of a circle. Expand your minds a bit, Folks.