Thread: Elemen'tary No. 1 Screwdriver

Elemen'tary No. 1 Screwdriver

Bought one of these a while back. Finally used it enough to be certain the handle was a bit large for my hand (plus the logo was off-center and there was a blob of linseed oil on the end) so took a block plane and sandpaper to it to reshape it.

wfa_altoids_bits_screwdrivers_800.jpg

Refinished by painting w/ airbrush paint left over from college, Kiwi shoe polish, and walnut oil --- suppose I should've tried black tea and ebonizing.

The bits are Felo in a 3D printed holder.

Need an intermediate-sized screwdriver --- suggestions? (other than the No. 2)

Blog Entries
    Need an intermediate-sized screwdriver --- suggestions? (other than the No. 2)
    This is the time of year when the Home Depot, Lowes and many other stores are stocking up on various bit packs and other accessories for the end of the year holidays.

Check the auto parts stores and whatever else through which you can search.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks!

Not finding anything appealing. Thinking I'll buy a Wiha bit driver like on the No. 1 and make my own, (but mislike the duplication) or maybe make one of the 6-in-1 kits

Considering a beryllium bit driver, just because an elemental approach to my tools appeals (anyone willing to sell a non birdcage titanium fret saw?)

Beryllium tools are just used because they are non sparking,for places like powder magazines where explosions are a hazard. Is beryllium as strong as a steel bit? It is a copper alloy. Pure beryllium is very dangerous metal to machine. Lathes have to be thoroughly "disinfected" from even tiny bits of it.I'm not sure machinery used to machine it are ever judged suitable for further use. Hard,to be sure,but is it brittle?
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-11-2016 at 2:37 PM.

Also used for non-magnetic properties when working on an MRI. Interesting the "infectious" aspect.

Guess I'll go w/ the 6-in-1 kit.