Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bell for her 90th

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    My early ones had a clapper, but this one doesn't. I didn't have time to source a teardrop crystal I had in mind and the fragile nature had me second guessing including it anyway.

I never thought of using crystal. But you just gave me an idea - I've been turning colored acrylic lately and a sky blue clapper might be a nice surprise inside!

I have always made them out of wood, fairly lightweight, suspended with a piece of wire. Some people have mentioned they glue in a piece of fishing line but I haven't tried that. This is one that was broken on a trip so I cut it in half to show the construction:

bells_cutaway_IMG_5169.jpg

A 1/8"- pierced wall would give me fragility worries!

Again, I admire your beautiful work of art.

JKJ

More beautiful work Scott! She will love it.
    I'll look forward to her 100th and the bell you'll give her for it.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice indeed , you need to do a tutorial on this type of turning / piercing .
    John 3:16

I do a demo and workshop covering this topic at symposiums and for clubs, but that is as an invited demonstrator (so I am not really the one who makes that call)! The Bayou Woodturners had me down to New Orleans last November for just that. Great fun down there and I think I started a few of them down the piercing path! It is a little difficult to do a "write up" on the topic and is more of a hands on....tricks of the trade, type deal. Thanks
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------