Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Machine

New Machine

Hey guys, I'm new to engraving and I was looking to purchase my first machine. I wanted something reliable with good support and a good name. these are the two I'm looking at.
    Does anyone have an experience with either of them? Also feel free to recommend me to something else.

Full Spectrum H Series
    https://fslaser.com/Product/Hobby

BOSS LS-1416
    https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-ls-14...l#.V8_4QE0rLmE

Thanks

Welcome,
    I would recommend you do a search here on machines. The topic is well covered. Chines vs Western, company purchase vs self import, pros and cons of all types and styles. Mostly, it will depend on your use and projected growth, size and power.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Ditto, That question or which Chinese laser gets asked at least once a week on here. Followed by, I got this machine off eBay and ...... Do some searching.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Doing a search will tell you to stay away from full spectrum far far away. Thunder is OK you might also look at Rabbit Laser very good machines good support.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Is it possible that Full Spectrum may have improved their hardware and customer service since they earned the bad reputation you hear so much about? They are currently being sold by Rockler and I can't imagine they would market a machine with such poor reliability and no customer support.

Blog Entries
    Art, What I am hearing from a number of Rockler Managers in our area (WA and OR) is that the machines are a headache. The users I talk with that have bought from Rockler seem to feel the same way. They may or may not work out of the box, and support has been ..... difficult?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Heres what you do email FSL and ask them a direct question
    " how long is your 40 watt tube" I've done this and they won't tell me they give me the run around.
    see what they tell you keep the email or take a screen shot of their reply.
    if you want to see the emails they sent me pm me you email and I'll forward them to you
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 09-07-2016 at 12:41 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Steven,

Sorry.....to answer your first post directly. Between FSL and Boss I would pick Boss without question. If you want more folks to check out, look at Rabbit Laser USA, and perhaps Automation Technologies (who I think is still a sponsor of Sawmill Creek?) Avoid anything on Ebay. If you want to check out direct from China imports you might look at Bodor, Ray Fine Technology LTD and Shenhui. (I have a Ray Fine machine in the interest of full disclosure. <grin>)

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I think I will just wait until I have the money to buy a name brand. I am afraid that any company that will not advertise prices with their machinery knows there will be sticker shock and is hoping to get you convinced of their brand before telling you the price. I don't particularly like that strategy.

Rabbit Laser, Boss Laser and Auto tech list there prices right up front, I have heard Auto tech has had some support problems. You might also inquire if any of these companies have a demo floor model they will give you a good discount on.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I think I will just wait until I have the money to buy a name brand. I am afraid that any company that will not advertise prices with their machinery knows there will be sticker shock and is hoping to get you convinced of their brand before telling you the price. I don't particularly like that strategy.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Art, FWIW, non of the name brands advertise their prices either, you have to go through a local sales rep for a price quote.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Blog Entries
    I'm searching for a machine also. I ruled out FS due to the comments here and elsewhere. They are supposedly building new machine, but NOTHING on their website.
    I really hadn't looked close at BOSS, but it looks like a pretty good machine. If I were to buy, with the options you probably need, it is about $5600. And I guess that is plus shipment. I'm looking at sub $4K for chinese machine from Ray Fine that is a LOT bigger. Rabbit is about the same cost as Boss, Not saying buy Chinese, I'd rather go American also..... Buy Boss if you are only looking at those two.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have a Boss laser (about 8 months now), I really enjoy it and I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about the company. I know many here also love rabbit. If it were me, I'd consider both. Deciding factors being: who is closer to you, who will give you a better price, and who has what you need in stock.

Good luck with your search.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Boss has a better reputation but they have been around only a few years. FSL has a bad rep as others said. Rabbit has been stateside for a long time. There is also automation tech stateside. If you want to import, that brings up and entirely different list of vendors. Keep in mind if you import you better be handy, support can be a bit lacking. Not a reason not to import but something to be aware of.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

"reliable with good support and a good name" Full Spectrum doesn't tick any of those boxes, especially their hobby machines.

Looks like your budget is around $4k, but go a get a demo of some western machines if you can, wont cost you anything. Trotec, Universal and Epilog are the big 3. They are all reliable, have good support and a good name, but a price tag to match.
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W