Thread: What kind of carbide sharpening system

What kind of carbide sharpening system

I am getting to the point that I need to investigate the possibilities of getting my own tools for sharpening carbide shaper cutters and router bits and saw blades. I really don't know much about what kind of tools may be out there for the small cabinet shop.

So what do you guys use? Does everyone just send them off for services elsewhere? Right now I'm using Ballew Saw and Tool in Springfield Mo to do my sharpening but there is about a 10 day turnaround when I send them off to them.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I use Ballews also. Great Service.
    You might check out Woodmaster tools in KC. They are a spin off of Foley Belsaw.

http://www.woodmastertools.com/

Though they don't really sell the sharpening stuff anymore, they can direct you to Belsaw, the original co.

Jim - I use Dodson's Tool Sharpening in Russellville, AR. He does a great job and typically about a 5 day turnaround. It is a bit far to drive from where you are but his number is 479-967-8651. You can call and ask about shipping. Ask to speak with Jerry - he is the owner.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe
    Jim - I use Dodson's Tool Sharpening in Russellville, AR. He does a great job and typically about a 5 day turnaround. It is a bit far to drive from where you are but his number is 479-967-8651. You can call and ask about shipping. Ask to speak with Jerry - he is the owner.

Steve
    Thanks Steve for the heads up on the location of another source. I may give him a shout in the next day or two and see about his prices and shipping.

I was hoping to pick up on some sharpening system that is affordable for the small cabinet shop. May not be one out there.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Jim,

I use Scott's Sharpening Service, I do not think that there is anything that he cannot sharpen. Lucky for me he is local, but he has great reputation on the Net. A lot of his work is for production shops, and he has been known to regrind blades to better their performance

Below is the contact info:

Scott's Sharpening Service
    Scott Whiting
    5214 W. Luke Ave, Ste #7
    Glendale, AZ 85301-6049

623-931-0633
    800-594-7262
    Fax 623-931-0767
    scottsharpaz@qwest.net
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I send out...the equipment to sharpen carbide is very expensive!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Having spent 37 years in a large factory that produced auto transmissions for vehicles from pickups to tanks (M1), our cutter grind shop sharpened many carbide and HSS tools. I don't think you will find a system that is "inexpensive". The grinding wheels for carbide are diamond and very expensive. The profiles on router and shaper cutters are best ground on CNC grinders or form grinders. Again, very expensive. I can't imagine there being something out there that would justify your grinding for yourself. We had several discussions on whether we should outsource our grinding. Being a union shop, it was never approved.
    Les

Jim,

I the past I have used Scott Whiting in AZ for my sharpening service. However, with shipping costs both ways, it got rather expensive to ship, sharpen and ship back. Turn around was good and Scott's just a great guy that knows his stuff in sharpening our ww'ing tooling.

However, I'd like to find someone near me to get it done and I'm finding that to be more difficult to find out who is trustworthy and does a good job.

Keep me posted on what you find out. I have several saw blades and at least one set of jointer/planer knives that I really need sharpened.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.