Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jagged edge on acrylic

Jagged edge on acrylic

Hi all,
    I have a Hugo made by hurricane lasers. (Chinese). Uses a reci tube.
    I cut 1/4" acrylic on a regular basis and have always gotten nice smooth cuts. The jobs I do run for about 25 minutes. I use 5 speed and 87 power in Lasercut 5.3. I am getting very jagged edges now on the cuts. When I do a small test cut (2-5 min job). The cuts are smooth. When I do a large 25min job they are jagged. It seems as though the cuts at beginning of job are decent and then gets worse as time progresses.
    Any ideas what could be causing this? My gut thinks the tube is going out? I went ahead and order a new tube and should get it in a week or so.
    Thanks for any help!
    Dave

What kind of cooling do you have on the tube? Perhaps it is due to temperature increase? I find that power drops once you go much above 20C.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    What kind of cooling do you have on the tube? Perhaps it is due to temperature increase? I find that power drops once you go much above 20C.
    I have the Cw5200.

>>I use 5 speed and 87 power in Lasercut 5.3.<<

Have you ever tested "87 power" to make sure it is not over driving your tube and killing it? What is the mA reading at 87 power?
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

87 means power is 87%. I don't know off hand what the ma reading is, but I know it doesn't max out on the scale or anything. I've always made sure never to go past 90% in an effort to preserve the laser.
    I am going to try a couple of engraving jobs tonight to see how those come out.

FWIW, with many Chinese lasers, setting power over 65-70% over-drives the tube past the manufacturer's recommended level and thus prematurely kills the tube. You can go on to the RECI site to get the mA specifications for your tube.
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

So your saying that the tube is bad/going bad?

Have you checked the temp stays constant throughout the job?
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

I am pointing out that tube failure could be a possibility at this point if you have been over-driving it. I can't say for sure since so many variables are involved. More important, since you have bought a new tube I wanted to give you the precaution so you take the steps to make sure you minimize the chance of damage by over-driving it.
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    FWIW, with many Chinese lasers, setting power over 65-70% over-drives the tube past the manufacturer's recommended level and thus prematurely kills the tube. You can go on to the RECI site to get the mA specifications for your tube.
    My Chinese laser does not over power at 90% but that is the limit I keep it at 85% or less

for reference--

My 80w Reci hit's a solid 28mA at 70% power as entered, that's as far as I'll take it when cutting. 65% usually, which is typically 26mA...

And those figures go down as the water temp goes up--

If you are overdriving the tube, it may be pulsing after running for several minutes

Best way to troubleshoot would be run a job (practice job if necessary) at 70% power and a bit slower and see if the jagged edge stops--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Check the temp of your cone after you do the long jobs. If your beam is hitting the side of the cone it can heat up and warp and get worse as it heats.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Thanks everyone for the input. Last night I verified that the mA is not the issue. I even umber it down to speed of 3 and 50 power.
    When it is cutting I am noticing what appears to be the laser pulsing sometimes when it shouldnt be, so hopefully changing the tube will fix it. The current tube is about 5 years s old.
    I'll let you know if it's better after replacing.

Any chance of a loose bearing on the rails?
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I normally dont go beyond 80 percent power